The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd share a few pictures of the transformation my Fender Champion 600 has undergone. It started out as one of these: bone stock.
fender_champion_600_front.jpg

The previous owner then stripped off the Tolex, changed the grill cloth and tweeded it into this beauty.
IMG_8377.jpg

Whoever did the tweed did an incredible job. It is flawless. But I thought it lacked a 'vintage' vibe. So this weekend I spent $10 at Rona on a can of Minwax Polyshades Honey Pine Satin...
IMG_8385.jpg

...applied 3 coats with a disposable foam brush (letting it dry for about an hour between coats) and turned it into this...
IMG_8427.jpg

...Before (Left) After (Right)
collage.jpg

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. And if you haven't tried one, these little Champion 600s are a really fun and inexpensive tube amp to play around with. I paid $300 CAN for mine with the upgraded Weber speaker and some upgraded tubes.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
I like it and agree that these amps are cool. I prefer them stock to the mercury mag modification package. How is it with the upgraded speaker - big difference I bet?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like it and agree that these amps are cool. I prefer them stock to the mercury mag modification package. How is it with the upgraded speaker - big difference I bet?
I bought it used with the upgraded Weber Alnico in it so I never heard the stock speaker. I'd love to side-by-side it with a stock one though and see what the difference is. I have absolutely no complaints about it. It gets crunchy at about 6 with single coils. I leave it on 12 and control the volume on my guitar. Fantastic little bedroom amp and killer recording amp.

·
Registered
24,348 Posts
This is useful info. My old tweed Princeton is looking awful weary, and I've never gigged with it since I bought it in 1976. It needs to go for a Minwax mani-pedi.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is useful info. My old tweed Princeton is looking awful weary, and I've never gigged with it since I bought it in 1976. It needs to go for a Minwax mani-pedi.
And the really good news--you'll only need the small 236ml can:) You could probably do 3 coats on about a dozen Princetons with the small can. BTW, a mid-70s tweed Princeton?! I must have one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts