The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed according to what I hear in the clip, there's an evident lack of "bottom end"...

I wonder how it would sounds on a 1x12 or 4x10 external cabinet...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Got a Champion 600 for Father's Day

Ok boys and girls I'm resurrecting this thread. I got a Champion 600 for Fathers Day. I think it's a great little practice amp if you like a clean warm sound at household volume. I swapped the power tube for a JJ and the preamp tube for a Phillips. It actually sounded great with the original cheap tubes but since I had these already I made the swap. It is a great compliment to a Telecaster and very quiet, of course I'm using Kinman pickups. Haven't tried a larger speaker yet though. For what I use it for I won't need one. I had a Micro Cube before this and although the micro cube was a neat little amp; the Champion 600 is much more to my liking.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Got one used for $160 from a guy on another forum. I knew in advance that there is a little hum. Mine's quite acceptable. It's dead on fun to play and of course easy to transport. Didn't "need" to have it, but the retro look and design simplicity appeal to me. Any small amp sounds huge when connected to a larger cab and that definitely applies to this one. Some people swap tubes and speaker, but I'm happy to leave mine alone.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I finally got to try one of these the other day, and it was just okay. I expected it to sound a bit more like a tweed champ, I guess. I love the way it looks, but the sound..I like the pro junior a lot better. It just seems way more useful and it isn't a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I like the pro junior a lot better. It just seems way more useful and it isn't a lot more expensive.
Crap, gear here must be a lot more expensive; I'd have to pay $275 more to get a Pro Jr..:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Generally $375-390 Can new for a Pro Junior here in Ottawa, the Champion 600 was $275 new(maybe due to high demand), so about 100 difference. Not huge.

I'll admit the Champion is very cool, and the volume is very controllable.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
there are lots of amps better than this- a pro junior is of course better for example- however it excells in only one way- and that is its low volume. its an affordable low volume tube amp for those that need a low volume yet affordable tube amp. everyone else will be disappointed. id love to just practice and record in my apartment with an ac30- but even a pro junior can be heard a block away lol
most can achieve more satisfactory results with pedals and/or attenuators. i prefer a more organic sound and setup - so im all for the little buggers

edit- mine cost 225$ in ontario about a month ago or so

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Bugger, that was good. I wonder what my Gibson GA-5 would sound like through a 12"?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the waiting for it to be available in Trois-Rivieres, I got a Peavey ValveKing 112. Sounds good, versatile and easy to carry. For sure we can't really compare these two amps but all in all I'm very satisfied with the VK... so far:D

·
Registered
274 Posts
I love the simplicity. Close mic'd they would be usable in the studio, and I think they make for ok furniture. A fine amp on the cheap

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys! I used an MJM London fuzz, with the guita volume rolled off a bit, and a Bad Monkey to kick it up a bit about three quarters of the way in, with just a little echo. Towards the end I kicked in the vibe side on an old CE-1. I think the speaker is the key. Pre tube is a Groove 12AX7M Mullard copy( very very good sounding for new production tube to my ears), and a JJ's power tube.

CT.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts