The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, what are these going for used these days (in excellent-very good condition)? Trying the gauge the market on these. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I always see them posted for $1200-$1800 for the pre 2012(avri) the 2013 and new from $2000-$2800 or. Whether or not they sell for that is a different story. Both awesome guitars, wish I still had mine.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pre-2012 model. I did a search and it looks like $1400/$1500 is about average. Might give one a whirl, heard good things.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,828 Posts
Hey guys, what are these going for used these days (in excellent-very good condition)? Trying the gauge the market on these. Thanks.
You could go on Reverb and see what people are trying to gouge the market for on these.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
They are definitely worth the money but the most I’ve paid was $1200 for a pre 2012. Yeah the seller can ask whatever price they want but usually you can get a better deal.

@hag99 If your in the market for one, what I did is went to my local Mcquade and asked them to check their used inventory across Canada. I had a 52 tele shipped to my local store. It was in a Ontario store for $900.

They only sold new in 2010-11 for like $1199-$1299. That was a little over the price of a top deluxe fender at the time. Anyway Mcquade always has them cheap because they can only give you like 70-80% trade in on what they sold for new. My 62 jazz bass avri I got $750 trade in, they sold it for $850. Because they only sold new for $1199. Worth a shot if your looking for one.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Can someone enlighten me as to why the large price discrepancy?
$1,800 to $2,000 (and I've seen some used more) these sellers have not yet faced reality and probably don't mind not selling their guitar.
$1,500 Still on the high side but gives some room for a seller to negotiate.
$1,200 - $1,400. More in the reasonable range and will depend on condition.

The new American Original 50's Telecaster is essentially the same thing and sell new for $2,399. The only difference is 9.5 radius and 6105 frets. The few I've played I've found them a better guitar. The guitars were lighter,in around the 7 to 7.5 pound range and the necks are a really comfortable U medium chunky. The finish on the post 2012 and the American Originals is more period correct and nicer. Personally I wouldn't buy a pre 2012 52 RI for $1,000

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
@guitarman2 Thanks! Was there a change around 2012 that affected more than the AVRI '52 guitars, or was it just that one specific model that saw a big difference between pre/post 2012?

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
@guitarman2 Thanks! Was there a change around 2012 that affected more than the AVRI '52 guitars, or was it just that one specific model that saw a big difference between pre/post 2012?
The pre 2012 52 reissuess were more orange in color and had slimmer necks. There may have been other changes, not sure. I think there were changes across a lot of the models, American Standard, etc. In 2017 the AV line became American Originals and the specs changed.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Any guitar of the vintage reissue series are awesome, doesn’t matter from what year. Just every time they introduce a new version of the same year reissue it’s always the latest and greatest, so the price goes up.

Again they are all great, I’ve had them. Still want a jazzmaster, just has to be priced according to what year it was introduced.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Any guitar of the vintage reissue series are awesome, doesn’t matter from what year. Just every time they introduce a new version of the same year reissue it’s always the latest and greatest, so the price goes up.

Again they are all great, I’ve had them. Still want a jazzmaster, just has to be priced according to what year it was introduced.
Not true. The new American Original 50's is $2,399, approximately $400 cheaper than the pre 2017 American Vintage 52.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Ok, sorry about that. Basically what I was saying is if your in the market for a vintage reissue fender make sure you pay according to what year and version it is. Being American vintage reissue(avri) American vintage(AV) or now what the new new American original. I lost track after the last price hike for the new AV series. I did see the American original series but didn’t really read into it.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
In my experience the pre '12 AVRIs seem to sell for between $800-$1200 in real world conditions. I had a 2008 model that was a fantastic example that was used a lot until I was able to acquire a Danocaster. Not really a huge fan of new Fender guitars but the AVRI series has always been fairly good. I think I got $1150 in value for my old '57 AVRI Strat, and a similar trade value on the Tele when I let it go. Anyone asking more than $1200 (at least for a pre 2012) is not likely to get it, IMHO. Not sure how much more a post 2012 model would be, but they seemed to jump in price quite a bit around that time. I don't think I'd add much of a premium for one though.

W.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts