The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think of the new American Original series?

I liked the idea of the AVRI guitars, knowing that you could get something that is pretty close in specs to a vintage guitar of a specified year. The new Original series seems to amalgamate ideas from a decade and sprinkle in some modern touches. Personally, I don't really get it, as I think American Special and various FSR models kind of did that already. But who knows... need to try them!

On the positive side, I really like seeing an American-made double-bound Tele part of the regular lineup again. Mmm... double-bound Tele...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I like the new colours, and I love that the entire line is finished in nitro. The jazzmaster has really piqued my interest, but that’s where my lust for this line ends.

I get that Fender places a lot of merit on their heritage, and a lot of their fans prefer vintage specs, but I just wish that for once we’d get a guitar with modern specs and a nitro finish. There’s way too much “Aged this” “vintage that” going on for me.

I know I’m an outlier with this opinion, but it would have been nice to have a guitar like the American Professional series, but with a nitro finish.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Wow, I think Fender’s got a winner here! These are essentially the same specs as Ltd. Edition Custom Shop guitars. Any idea what the price point will be?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Sweetwater has the Teles for $2K USD, so probably $3K CAD out the door up here.

I really like that 60s Strat but at that price will wait for a used one, which will give me time to decide 3TSB or CAR.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweetwater has the Teles for $2K USD, so probably $3K CAD out the door up here.
Sweetwater's remaining AVRI Tele is a couple hundred less than the American Original. L&M has their '52 AVRI listed at $2700, so $3k out the door seems pretty likely and basically maintains the status quo.

I agree with others that I'd rather buy used. Brand new Fenders are just very expensive all around.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
At that price you can get a used CS 60 Custom.
That’s how I fell into the CS rabbit hole ~12 yrs. ago. Had dibs on the first EJ Strats to come into my local L&M, then stumbled across a used 56 Relic for the same price after taxes at TGS (I was able to trade towards the CS 56 & saved some of the HST).

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
The specs are pretty close to the Thin Skin '59 Strat I just bought. I love mine, so far. The AO 60s Strat looks pretty good and I'll be interested to see if the "Thick '60s C" neck profile differs from mine. The 50s Tele looks pretty damn sweet, too. I really like the "Vintage Tall" frets on my Strat.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I agree with others that I'd rather buy used. Brand new Fenders are just very expensive all around.
Although I have some pretty expensive guitars in my bsmt, I honestly don’t know who’s buying those Masterbuilt Heavy Relics that are pushing $10K after taxes. At that price point you’re getting into vintage territory, possibly even pre-CBS on a player’s grade axe.

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
Although I have some pretty expensive guitars in my bsmt, I honestly don’t know who’s buying those Masterbuilt Heavy Relics that are pushing $10K after taxes. At that price point you’re getting into vintage territory, possibly even pre-CBS on a player’s grade axe.
I could have gotten one of those heavy relics from L&M Halifax for 4600 plus tax last year. Gorgeous 3tsb double bound. They couldnt sell the dang thing.

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
Used is always less expensive, we know :p.

Gonna have to wait a month or two after they hit the market to see them.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't understand why they strayed from vintage specs for these. I mean, the vintage series has been super popular with people wanting vintage spec since what, 1982 or 1983? Why change a good thing? If you want modern specs, as someone else said there are plenty of modern models.

But that being said, that 60's bound Tele in lake placid blue is gorgeous and I really want one!

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I don't understand why they strayed from vintage specs for these. I mean, the vintage series has been super popular with people wanting vintage spec since what, 1982 or 1983? Why change a good thing? If you want modern specs, as someone else said there are plenty of modern models.

But that being said, that 60's bound Tele in lake placid blue is gorgeous and I really want one!
I would imagine that they have a pretty good handle on what the market is demanding based on their sales and market research. A change this big to a well-loved lineup of guitars would not be undertaken on a whim. At least, one would hope as much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sure hope they put some thought into it! ha ha Maybe the market is saturated with vintage reissues so they wanted to do something different, I don't know.

Vadsy, that's the one I want. Love it! I was kind of interested in getting one of the 64 reissues when they came out in lake placid blue but I never saw one for sale. Maybe one of these will come my way!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I like the new colours, and I love that the entire line is finished in nitro. The jazzmaster has really piqued my interest, but that’s where my lust for this line ends.

I get that Fender places a lot of merit on their heritage, and a lot of their fans prefer vintage specs, but I just wish that for once we’d get a guitar with modern specs and a nitro finish. There’s way too much “Aged this” “vintage that” going on for me.

I know I’m an outlier with this opinion, but it would have been nice to have a guitar like the American Professional series, but with a nitro finish.
They have in the past, my Telecaster in the avatar is a perfect example of it. It's a Fender Vintage Hot Rod 50's Telecaster and it comes stock with locking tuners, 4 way switching, compound radius (7.25-12), nitro finish, I'm sure there's more. Biggest problem was they didn't sell, people wanted a 52 Reissue not a 50's Hot Rod.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts