The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I own a Princeton reissue that I have had for roughly 7 of it's 8 or 9 year life. I just noticed that the reverb started to sound very weak and the higher I turn the reverb knob the noisier (hiss) the amp gets. This amp is dead quiet normally and if I turn the reverb off it is quiet. The tremolo works fine and is quiet as well. Outside of the hiss the reverb just doesn't sound the same as it did in the past.

I am a hobby player and this amp gets used maybe 1 - 3 hours a week (if that) and it never leaves the house.

Any thoughts? Is it a tube that is starting to go?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi
My first thought is that there is some dirt or corrosion either on the tube pins of V3 , or in it's socket. Try pushing the 3rd tube from the right , when viewing the back of the amp , in and out of it's socket a few times , and see if the problem goes away. If no , try another good 12ax7a in this socket.
Might also be the reverb return cable at the amp end that is dirty. Push the rca jack in and out of it's socket to clean . (If there is one on the reissue).

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Just had an issue with my DRRI and the reverb going away. The positive ends of both RCA leads into the chasis were cracked and separated from the jacks.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Question: If you shake the amp with the reverb turned up, does it still make a loud crashing sound? If not, it might be the send coil in the tank has opened up. It's a common problem with Accutronics tanks made in the last 15 years or so. It can also be a broken wire on the coil connectors. They're prone to break as well.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again everyone. I was able to get it working again tonight. Sorry for the delay but I have been distracted with other things and finally got around to really looking into it. Here is what I did and it is a number of things so who knows which one corrected the issue. I would guess step 3.

1) The amp is super mint and clean, never left my house so I didn't think there was anything wrong with the reverb rca jacks but I pushed them in and out to clean the contacts a bit.

2) I took the tank out and did the same to rca connections there. I also made sure the wiring was still connected as well as the springs and it all looked good. I was a little surprised to see the bottom of the reverb tank is just a piece of cardboard.

3) I then removed and reseated tubes V1 - V4.

When I turned it back on reverb was deep and beautiful again and reverb was dead quite while in operation.

Princeton Tubes.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts