The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I have read good things about these RI Deluxe Reverbs. I have never played through one. I hope to, once one stays around long enough at my local L&M.

I had a 1966 DR. It sure was a nice amp. Good luck with it. Give us an update once the honeymoon stage is over.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Lol. Hey whatever it takes to sell new product! Fender needs to keep riding on the coat tails of their legacy amps and guitars. There’s what, 500 different new Strat and Tele models avaiable?

There are 3 basic models of new Deluxe Reverbs in production today. The DRRI. The ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. Now this hand wired BF Deluxe Reverb.

Additionally theres all the Factory Special Run DRRI amps. Blonde, Burgundy, Blue Fleck, tri-burst, etc.

I might be inclined to guess Fender’s current biggest competitor is vintage used Fender Deluxe Reverb amps. From 1964 to 1979.

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
"Fender equipped the 20-watt ’64 Custom Deluxe Reverb with Pure Vintage Blue Tone capacitors, which were created to mimic the Astron capacitors used during that era"

I've seen these Fender caps for sale on eBay at about $50 per cap! They must be pretty special stuff.
Should be a very dependable amp for a long time to come.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
I can think of about 50 different ways to spend half that money and still get a decent amp.
I honestly am amazed that for that king of money they put in a Stock Fender speaker....thats just silly.
G.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Now I'm not up on all the exact prices of this vintage amp or that one but it seems to me that very often the prices for these special handwired reissues are often MORE expensive than the actual vintage item, which is usually hand wired as well. Even if the real thing were a bit more, it would still make more sense to me than spending nearly $4k on something that will immediately depreciate in value ( not that I'll ever be in the market for a $4k amp, or guitar ftm).

Not trying to rain on your parade, I still kind of envy the purchase and I'm sure it'll sound STELLAR!

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Maybe some of you don't see equipment similarly built, for a similar market. Not to mention how expensive the vintage stuff has become.

Look at the price of comparable Victoria, Carr or Toneking stuff. This price (list) isn't totally out of whack. And that's what this Fender amp is competing with. The limited edition versions for US$10k are a little harder to justify.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I always look at the prices of new reissues of fender amps compared to the vintage amps. Yeah you can buy a “real” vintage amp but you can’t always fire it up and it actually work. It’s the same for real vintages guitars compared to reissues. I saw a 65 jazzmaster hanging at a local shop, $5000. A little pricey, the closer I looked the worse it got. Most of the plastics were warped, half the frets were popped up, chunks of binding missing. So for $5000 or buy at 65 AV jazzmaster used for half the price. Again same as the “real” vintage amps.

I have twinolux so I’m on board with spending the cash for a newer handwired amp. I can’t wait to hear the new 64 deluxe in person.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts