The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to spend around 2k for one of these. Looking for a rosewood neck, not too particular about the colour but would prefer something non-sunburst. Looking for something local, I’m in the Niagara area but able to travel a good distance for the right guitar.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looking to spend around 2k for one of these. Looking for a rosewood neck, not too particular about the colour but would prefer something non-sunburst. Looking for something local, I’m in the Niagara area but able to travel a good distance for the right guitar.

Thanks for looking!
Was on a similar quest - pretty thin out there... Also look at the hot rodded 62 avri as well as Eric Johnson strats which are based on 57.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was on a similar quest - pretty thin out there... Also look at the hot rodded 62 avri as well as Eric Johnson strats which are based on 57.
I know man! This has been about 2 years of looking, and I teach out of L&M and look at all the stores across Canada regularly. Unfortunately I’m not a huge fan of the pickups or neck profiles on the 62 and I’m not a fan of maple necks. And so the hunt continues.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I know man! This has been about 2 years of looking, and I teach out of L&M and look at all the stores across Canada regularly. Unfortunately I’m not a huge fan of the pickups or neck profiles on the 62 and I’m not a fan of maple necks. And so the hunt continues.
Yeah, I have the same exact issue. The Eric johnson strats are amazing really, the ones with the rosewood fingerboard and 57 soft v neck. Ill keep an eye out!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Really nice looking ‘56 at Capsule; Mary Kay stylings, so the maple neck probably isn’t a good fit for you, but still a nice looking AVRI.

Personally, I’m after a ‘59 Sonic Blue AVRI, but am debating whether to just build a partscaster.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 62 hot rod strats are the 62 look with a late 50s neck.
Well I didn’t know that, that’s a shame I’ve seen a couple of those locally recently but passed them up. Aren’t the pickups in those supposed to be a fair bit hotter too?

Really nice looking ‘56 at Capsule; Mary Kay stylings, so the maple neck probably isn’t a good fit for you, but still a nice looking AVRI.

Personally, I’m after a ‘59 Sonic Blue AVRI, but am debating whether to just build a partscaster.
Thats been the finish I’ve been looking for forever. The 56 arvi at capsule is nice but if that 57 refin was a 59 I’d have probably bought it already.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also looking for a 7.25 radius, and I think the hot rod might be 9.5

·
Registered
45 Posts
Vintage Hot Rods definitely have a 9.5" radius neck, and the '62 has a bigger neck carve. I was going to recommend expanding your search to include the 59 Thin Skin strat but those are 9.5" as well.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think it's a testament to how good the 12-17 AV series were over the former AVRI series. Used to be you could find just about any model of used AVRI guitar. The AV's - not so much. People are holding onto these guitars. I think even if you found one, $2000 is going to be on the low end. There was an AV65 Jazzmaster for sale in Montreal recently and asking price on it was $3500.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think it's a testament to how good the 12-17 AV series were over the former AVRI series. Used to be you could find just about any model of used AVRI guitar. The AV's - not so much. People are holding onto these guitars. I think even if you found one, $2000 is going to be on the low end. There was an AV65 Jazzmaster for sale in Montreal recently and asking price on it was $3500.
Pardon my ignorance whats the difference between the 12-17 AV vs AVRI?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Pardon my ignorance whats the difference between the 12-17 AV vs AVRI?
In 2012 Fender redesigned and relaunched the line as "American Vintage" (dropping the "reissue" name). Apparently they used actual vintage examples for each model and painstakingly recreated them using laser measurements, etc. They changed the bodies, the neck carves - everything. The finishes were also completely reformulated. The older AVRI guitars had a poly undercoat with a thick nitro top coat. The new AV series guitars had a thin nitro only "flash coat". Apparently these finishes are extremely fragile and chip and relic themselves very similar to how an original 50's guitar would have. The pickups were all re-engineered, the hardware - literally everything.

The AV is a completely different line than the AVRI. The AVRI guitars were more of a "tribute" to the vintage models whereas the AV were meant to be recreations of them.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
The 2012-2017 AVRI’s are the most vintage accurate guitars that Fender or the Custom Shop has made since the good old days. Not only were they super accurate, but they were beautifully built using top quality woods. Lovely instruments - from a total vintage snob.

·
Registered
92 Posts
In 2012 Fender redesigned and relaunched the line as "American Vintage" (dropping the "reissue" name). Apparently they used actual vintage examples for each model and painstakingly recreated them using laser measurements, etc. They changed the bodies, the neck carves - everything. The finishes were also completely reformulated. The older AVRI guitars had a poly undercoat with a thick nitro top coat. The new AV series guitars had a thin nitro only "flash coat". Apparently these finishes are extremely fragile and chip and relic themselves very similar to how an original 50's guitar would have. The pickups were all re-engineered, the hardware - literally everything.

The AV is a completely different line than the AVRI. The AVRI guitars were more of a "tribute" to the vintage models whereas the AV were meant to be recreations of them.
I see - didn’t know that history. This whole lineup is the best value for money in my opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thanks for narrowing my search even further, haha.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts