The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've played with a few over the years with some being ok and some being not so great. I miss my McCoy Picture Wah the most, it was well above ok. I currently have an older enclosure Budda Bud-Wah and it seems to sound good in the rig.

Anyone want to throw some of their favourites up?

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
Schaller Wah-wah/Yoy-yoy. Not many other wahs sound like it. Been a while since I owned one, so I can't speak to the responsiveness of the pot taper, but the sound is unique.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have a CRY BABY® 95Q WAH, and I like it a lot.

From the Dunlop site:

"We've taken the original Cry Baby Wah and added three of our most popular upgrades: the famous Q Control, which varies the intensity of the wah effect by adjusting the effect's bandpass shape; Volume Boost, for up to +15dB added gain; and our Auto-Return function that automatically engages the effect when you place your foot on the pedal. It all adds up to a versatile, great sounding wah."

It's extremely convenient how the wah switches off in the heel down position, and the added boost is a very handy feature too.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I really like my CAE/Dunlop Wah. Choice of 2 inductors (throaty and higher) plus a switchable boost. Versatile without drowning you with options. Treadle friction is adjustable too which is important to me. Sounds fantastic to me - especially on the red fasel inductor (throaty).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have a Morley, a BWA, I think. The best sound I could get out of it was using a Boss LS-2. Set the wah to full on, put the LS-2 in A+B->Bypass, plug the Morley into the A loop, then you dial a little clean signal on the B loop.

But you still need a true-bypass because it sucks the life out of a good amp.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I’ve been using the Boss PW3.

I haven’t tried a whole lot of wah pedals, so I’m probably not the best judge of its tone, but I think it sounds great, it’s versatile with the rich/vintage switch, and it’s built in a way that it could make a handy weapon at a gig gone wrong.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
I have a Morley as well. A PWA, I think. I added a Muff Fuzz to it. I also have a Cry Baby. And a Caline mini-wah/volume I picked up earlier this year. And a wah I made myself using a magical inductor I bought a few of at a now-vanished surplus electronics place in town. Big ferrite job that measured 900mh, with a tap somewhere between 700 and 800mh. So the value was nominally too large, but hot damn it sounds really good and throaty. If you know The Jeff Beck Group's version of "I Ain't Superstitious", it kinda sounds like that. The Caline is certainly a convenient size (roughly a 125-C size), and actually has a status LED, which many lament the absence of in their more standard-sized wahs. But tonally, it is nothing special. Functional. Utilitarian.

Still wish I had a Schaller. Here's my buddy Paul Marossy's walk-through of the Schaller. The audio demo starts around 6:24.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I have a Morley as well. A PWA, I think. I added a Muff Fuzz to it. I also have a Cry Baby. And a Caline mini-wah/volume I picked up earlier this year. And a wah I made myself using a magical inductor I bought a few of at a now-vanished surplus electronics place in town. Big ferrite job that measured 900mh, with a tap somewhere between 700 and 800mh. So the value was nominally too large, but hot damn it sounds really good and throaty. If you know The Jeff Beck Group's version of "I Ain't Superstitious", it kinda sounds like that. The Caline is certainly a convenient size (roughly a 125-C size), and actually has a status LED, which many lament the absence of in their more standard-sized wahs. But tonally, it is nothing special. Functional. Utilitarian.

Still wish I had a Schaller. Here's my buddy Paul Marossy's walk-through of the Schaller. The audio demo starts around 6:24.

How is the volume function on the caline

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
It's no Goodrich or Ernie Ball. Maybe there's a way to fix it, but one of the problems with the unit is that it won't stay "cocked". So you can't just leave it in a given volume OR wah setting. It always returns to zero. Meh, I paid a guy $30 for it, and it will fit on a compact pedalboard. If I'm desperate for a volume pedal, I have a Boss FV-500 and an old Visual Sound Visual Volume.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a Morley as well. A PWA, I think. I added a Muff Fuzz to it.
I also have a Morley PWA I bought used at L&M without playing it cause it was cheap and I was in a hurry. Meant to return it if I didn't like it, (which I didn't) but never quite got around to it. Now it's mine for good and it's at the top of my list for modding. I plan to model it in Spice and take it from there. Maybe increase the magnitude of the peak? Maybe something else?

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,114 Posts
Fulltone Clyde mang :)

P

·
0 Posts
The Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. The Deluxe gives some options that make it way more usable... The extra sweep, and the tones are what make it one of the best.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
It's no Goodrich or Ernie Ball. Maybe there's a way to fix it, but one of the problems with the unit is that it won't stay "cocked". So you can't just leave it in a given volume OR wah setting. It always returns to zero. Meh, I paid a guy $30 for it, and it will fit on a compact pedalboard. If I'm desperate for a volume pedal, I have a Boss FV-500 and an old Visual Sound Visual Volume.
A volume pedal is on my to-do list. I'd love to find a good volume/wah combo for the sake of not needing two big pedals on the board.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have the Dunlop Zakk Wylde. Haven't had any issues with it.
Love this wah as well.
I'm quite the wah head (I owned just about every single artist one) and so far only kept the Wylde, the Cantrell, the Dimebag Crybaby from Hell and a Ibanez Weeping Demon.
Lately none get much use, as the one I use in the Axefx2 is able to be completely customized.

·
Registered
11,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Love this wah as well.
I'm quite the wah head (I owned just about every single artist one) and so far only kept the Wylde, the Cantrell, the Dimebag Crybaby from Hell and a Ibanez Weeping Demon.
Lately none get much use, as the one I use in the Axefx2 is able to be completely customized.
very good to hear about the Axe FX

1 - 20 of 30 Posts