The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what your favourite live album is? I picked up a live April Wine album sometime ago. I can’t remember the name but I was very disappointed with it. I have other live albums but none of them are anywhere near as good as Made in Japan by Deep Purple. None of Purple’s studio albums could ever compare to this one in my opinion. Flat and lifeless and comparison. Short, dry and lifeless. Low energy

I wish Tragically Hip could have released a live album when they were in their prime. I know there’s videos of the last concerts, however understandably they weren’t at their finest with Gord suffering. (and I suppose they were technically all emotionally suffering at the time)

Got any great live favorites?

·
Premium Member
3,856 Posts
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
Traffic - Welcome to the Canteen
Lou Reed - Live & Rock and Roll Animal (both recorded at the same show)
Allman bros - Fillmore

·
Premium Member
8,577 Posts
Yeah would have been disappointed if the gold standard hadn’t been mentioned, @davetcan with Live At Leeds. Other Who stuff of that era ‘68-71 is almost universally outstanding, though not sure how many were music only albums rather than videos.

Several other of my faves mentioned already.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Does Rust Never Sleeps count? ( If not, Live Rust ;) ) Definitely up there on the list for me.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Johnny Winter Live And.

Wore out two vinyl copies; have it on CD but the vinyl was warmer and didn’t hurt the ears when cranked.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Just wondering what your favourite live album is? I picked up a live April Wine album sometime ago. I can’t remember the name but I was very disappointed with it. I have other live albums but none of them are anywhere near as good as Made in Japan by Deep Purple. None of Purple’s studio albums could ever compare to this one in my opinion. Flat and lifeless and comparison. Short, dry and lifeless. Low energy

I wish Tragically Hip could have released a live album when they were in their prime. I know there’s videos of the last concerts, however understandably they weren’t at their finest with Gord suffering. (and I suppose they were technically all emotionally suffering at the time)

Got any great live favorites?
that's a good point...are there any live Hip albums?

my quick choices:

any of Neil Young's live stuff...

Ten Years After - recorded live

Reactions: Scotty

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Hmmm...

The Last Waltz
Bob Seger's live albums
Harry Manx's "Road Ragas"

Does Jackson Browne's "Running On Empty" count?

I also remember "Cheapo Cheapo Productions Presents: Real Live John Sebastian" as a life changing album for me - I borrowed it from the local library and it rocked my world, but I've never been able to find it since and I wonder if it was anywhere near as good as I remember it.

Jimmy Buffet's live album also carries some fond memories, but again, I suspect that it might not be as good as I remember.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I think a good thread to voice my opinion in "live" recordings.

First of all , I really enjoy "live" anything that's recorded good.

My real problem with "live " stuff is that so much of it isn't live at all...
I see way to much post production studio work mixed in with live concerts.
I have an Eagles " live in Melbourne" concert DVD that is totally live...every note every vocal.
I also have a Gary Moore live in a pub in England someplace where BB King shows up and its totally live.

When is it NOT really live...?
I tend to key on the drummer as its so easy to spot when a drum sequence is out of wack with whats happening on stage.
Obviously, guitar solos are also an easy giveaway if its been dubbed elsewhere.

I think you guys know what I mean if its not actually live what you are seeing in the video.
The results are usually a better sound BUT does this non-live production bother anyone.?
It bothers me when its supposed to be live and its something else...
Your thoughts.
G.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Barking Spiders : live (1983)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ten Years After - Undead. This is pre-Woodstock and contains a great version of I'm Going Home.

Recorded in 1968 at Klooks Kleek a small jazz club in London. It was this LP that made me want to see them that fall at The Electric Circus on Queen St. East in Toronto. Unfortunately they cancelled 2 days before the show, so the scheduled opening act played their entire show that night instead. They were a new band called Chicago Transit Authority and they were fabulous! Got free ticket to come back the following week to see The Jeff Beck Group play their Truth LP which was killer!!

TD

1 - 20 of 44 Posts