The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
Mr. Hammer, what is the sonic difference between IC and normal transistor Muff??
Well, this is a good resource to start with: http://www.pisotones.com/BigMuffPi/psst/BMP_versions.htm

The cardinal characteristics, and soul, if you will, of the BMP are the use of double clipping, and the mid-scoop introduced by the tone control.

All transistor versions share the same double-clipping, even though they may approach it slightly differently. The op-amp version has only one stage of diode clipping. Where it is also different is that it sticks a 2-pole lowpass filter ahead of the clipping stage. Using the filter means the signal is "rounded off" before it hits the clipping stage, which is a good thing. But having only one clipping stage, and especially given the higher clipping threshold adopted by means of a 3+3 diode compliment, means it should (in theory) be less compressed and "violin-ey" in its sustain than the transistor version. It also has a different scoop which appears to be both wider and situated a little higher up, more like a Russion.

I say this looking at the circuit, but never having heard one, so take it for what it's worth.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Well, this is a good resource to start with: http://www.pisotones.com/BigMuffPi/psst/BMP_versions.htm

The cardinal characteristics, and soul, if you will, of the BMP are the use of double clipping, and the mid-scoop introduced by the tone control.

All transistor versions share the same double-clipping, even though they may approach it slightly differently. The op-amp version has only one stage of diode clipping. Where it is also different is that it sticks a 2-pole lowpass filter ahead of the clipping stage. Using the filter means the signal is "rounded off" before it hits the clipping stage, which is a good thing. But having only one clipping stage, and especially given the higher clipping threshold adopted by means of a 3+3 diode compliment, means it should (in theory) be less compressed and "violin-ey" in its sustain than the transistor version. It also has a different scoop which appears to be both wider and situated a little higher up, more like a Russion.

I say this looking at the circuit, but never having heard one, so take it for what it's worth.

Mark
Thanks Mark, really interessing! I've read the link and it's really usefull to see the difference between all of the versions! Now I understand why my Hoof Fuzz is not the same sounding as the green muff...:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
As for fuzz, I'm currently using a Subdecay Flying Tomato and an old big box-style EH Graphic Fuzz, which really isn't a 'fuzz' effect... it's more of an aggressive overdrive.
I forgot to mention my application of the Graphic "Fuzz"... I run an SD Pickup Booster in front of it to slam the overdrive into fuzzdom and it's awesome! With the EQ of the G.F., I pump the bass up and moderately increase the highs to get a kick ass fuzz tone. If any of you have got the Graphic Fuzz, I suggest you try what I've done. You'll be pleased with the results. :)

101 - 104 of 104 Posts