The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
Fired up yet another Shin-Ei FY-2 clone tonight. I increased the input cap to let a little more bass through. Oh my, that is some seriously serious fuzz! I had to turn down the volume on my single coils just to make it sound like overdrive at the lowest intensity fuzz setting. At the most intense setting it was full-on splatter fuzz. Just sick sick sick tortured tormented fuzz.kkjuw

I gotta stop making these. I'm starting to feel like some cat lady who can't help herself from adopting yet one more poor helpless little orphan fuzz.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i've only tried one fuzz and it was the analogman sunface. i have nothing else to compare it with, but it really sounds great

·
Registered
30 Posts
fuzz fuzz fuzz.
neverending quest for fuzz.

so far I like: MXR classic 108, EHX russian muff green, EHX russian muff black w/ true bypass, EHX NYC muff, Dwarfcraft Shiva, Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder and the MBM Fuzz Face clone.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There has only been a couple of mentions of Skreddy stuff. Marc Skreddy loves his fuzz and has created some convincing fuzz pedals that duplicate a lot of the vintage stuff.

I have personally owned a bunch of fuzz boxes and I must say that my Mayo is wildly bang on to vintage muffs. My most prized possession is the the Pig Mine...solos are wonderful with this pedal, absolutely wonderful!

Tone however is totally relative and it comes down to your technique but in general terms I think Skreddy has really nailed it with his products.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
I'm looking for a thick but smooth fuzz. Sorta like the intro/solo in this tune, tho the sound quality isn't great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFQZjv70YhI - there's something similar on Blow By Blow era Jeff Beck, and other examples. I know that April Wine example has other things going on (reverb, maybe some modulation) but gives the idea. It's important that the fuzz hang together through full bar chords, something that falls apart like most of the octave fuzzes is no good to me.

Anyways, I've been on a fuzz kick lately. Still want to get a tonebender type, but the Vox reissue locally is over $400 I'll pass on that.

Have 3 Fuzz Face types currently - FoxRox Captain Coconut2 clearly rules the roost, the GRIT knob adds spittiness as it's turned up, I like just a hint for that Neil Young Hey Hey My My type thing. Also have a Fulltone 70's and the Dunlop JH reissue, neither of which are currently turning my crank very much. The CC2 also has a very good octave fuzz built in, along with a Univibe.

Also have a Way Huge Swollen Pickle, great great Big Muff type fuzz with added diversity with the 'scoop' and 'crunch' knobs. Dialing out the scoop, and upping the crunch, turns it into a pretty wicked distortion. I haven't even messed with the internal trim pots, this thing is awesome. I still have settings in my head I want to experiment with.

Had a Roland Bee Baa fuzz a few years ago, I should never have traded that off. Not very usable for a lot of stuff, but very unique and cool for a bit of stuff. Very square wave and harsh, with tons of output.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Currently have a Devi Ever Hyperion (insane Big Muff, but better than all the Big Muffs I've had) and a Zoom Ultra Fuzz. I think the Zoom is the most useful fuzz I've ever used... but it's beginning to act up, so we'll see if it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Oh fuzz...so many options! I started building pedals recently and fuzz is pretty much the easiest one to make, so I've done a bunch. So far my favourites are the Foxx Tone Machine (I think it was recently reissued) and the Jordan Bosstone.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
I've made a bunch of octave-up fuzzes, and the Foxx is my all-time favourite. VERY robust octave. The Bosstone is also quite nice. Both are eminently moddable for some interesting alternate sounds. Good nominations.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How is the Dwarcraft Eau Claire??
Insane. I don't own one personally, but I know people who do and it can go from a nice normal fuzz to demented craziness depending on the settings.

I highly recommend Dwarfcraft devices. He's working on a tube amp right now too, which should be interesting.
He (Ben/Aen) also works closely with DeviEver on various designs and is even releasing a few 'designed by DeviEver' devices soon as well. He just got picked up by Musiciansfriend recently, so it'll be easier to buy his builds.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Yeah, Aen is a really nice guy! He's building a Plane Ticket Plus for me right now (and a couple of other guyz from offsetguitar.com). I will investigate to find the Eau Claire, moog in Mtl carries it so, I'll have to try!

Actually my dirt is cover by fuzz only, a Hoof Fuzz and a F69 (fuzz face) but I would like to try the Wattson Superfuzz (now the Classic Fuzz) and a IC Big muff!

Mr. Hammer, what is the sonic difference between IC and normal transitor Muff??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, Aen is a really nice guy! He's building a Plane Ticket Plus for me right now (and a couple of other guyz from offsetguitar.com). I will investigate to find the Eau Claire, moog in Mtl carries it so, I'll have to try!

Actually my dirt is cover by fuzz only, a Hoof Fuzz and a F69 (fuzz face) but I would like to try the Wattson Superfuzz (now the Classic Fuzz) and a IC Big muff!

Mr. Hammer, what is the sonic difference between IC and normal transitor Muff??
Oh hey. Yea the plane ticket plus is tempting. I almost got on board for that myself, but I had my money tied up in other effects at the time. I recently had a saltshaker made for me by Mike from OSG/Shortscale.org. Should be here sometime next week hopefully.
You're on OSG? What's your screenname? I'm also on there under the same name as here.

sorry offtopic.

yup fuzz. can't live with em can't live without em.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Oh hey. Yea the plane ticket plus is tempting. I almost got on board for that myself, but I had my money tied up in other effects at the time. I recently had a saltshaker made for me by Mike from OSG/Shortscale.org. Should be here sometime next week hopefully.
You're on OSG? What's your screenname? I'm also on there under the same name as here.

sorry offtopic.

yup fuzz. can't live with em can't live without em.
same screen name as here! :D

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
The Yardbox is based on a Sola Sound Tone Bender with a few extra tweaks. With any tone tone bender, they tend to sound raspy at low volume, but almost too thick and smooth with a tube amp at near full volume. This is definitely the case with BYOC Tone Bender and with the MJM BritBender I used to have (both based on the same pedal)

Have you had the chance to try it with a cranked amp? Is it still raspy or does it start to smooth out?
Jeez I never found mine to be raspy..Sounds good to my ears and I always play pretty loud, well thats what everyone tells me. The one fuzz I found to be raspy would have been the two fulltone soul benders I had. I have a GGG red lama that sounds petty good too its a smooth fuzz.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Antonio at Capsule Music in Toronto makes awesome fuzz pedals. His brand is Teixeira (he also makes amps). I have the Heaven 17 which is a Tonebender MKII type pedal loaded with OC75 germ transistors. It's amazing. A very musical, useable fuzz. Really one of the best MKII pedals I've heard.

Is this his stuff? If so, it sure seems cool but I can't find any sound samples...

As for fuzz, I'm currently using a Subdecay Flying Tomato and an old big box-style EH Graphic Fuzz, which really isn't a 'fuzz' effect... it's more of an aggressive overdrive.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts