The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, We've seen the EL84 thread, now what are your fav EL34 and 6L6 tubes and why? NOS and new production, let's hear what you like.

For 6L6 I'm still running most of mine on a stash of old Blackplates I've got, but I do have one amp here running Svetlana's and I love them.

For EL34's I have tried JJ's and Sovteks and right now in my main gigging amp I'm running EH EL34 Big Bottle which are supposed to be close to the old Sylvania 6CA7. They sound good but as with typical 6CA7 a little more towards the 6L6 type of sound. I think I am going to try some Svetlana's in there or maybe some of the Shuagang tubes that are supposed to be pretty decent now. I've also got a couple of old sets of mullards but I don't use those in a gigging amp, would be a shame if they got broken.

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
My favourite EL34 is actually an EL34 variation. I had a set of JJ KT77's in a Traynor YBA-1 I had and loved the sound of them. They had plenty of the characteristics I loved about EL34's playing with gain, but a much warmer and smoother clean tone then I have heard from EL34's. Pretty cool tubes.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I really like the KT77's as well. Great balance, and slightly cleaner. My favorite 6L6's are the old GE's, but I like the Groove Tubes made in USA 6L6 as well.

I

·
0 Posts
I think I am going to try some Svetlana's in there or maybe some of the Shuagang tubes that are supposed to be pretty decent now.
I'm just about to pull the triggers on some Shuagang's from thetubstore.com and a full compliment of JJ ECC83-S's for the preamp section in my Koch. The GTs in there now are not well suited for a combo. They start to rattle pretty quickly.

Anyone use these Duende tube rings on power tubes in a combo? Did they help with ringing?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Without a doubt 1950s 6L6GA and 6L6GAY (military spec version). 9$. Fine tubes for the price. Probably the best deals on 6L6 types, right now.

Second: the Tungsol reissue 5881. Nearly identical to my NOS Tungsols (which I bought after having had the reissue thinking they'd be discernibly better, which they weren't. The reissue just seems to have a bit more power than the NOS, but that would vary from tube to tube anyways).

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Without a doubt 1950s 6L6GA and 6L6GAY (military spec version). 9$. Fine tubes for the price. Probably the best deals on 6L6 types, right now.

Second: the Tungsol reissue 5881. Nearly identical to my NOS Tungsols (which I bought after having had the reissue thinking they'd be discernibly better, which they weren't. The reissue just seems to have a bit more power than the NOS, but that would vary from tube to tube anyways).
Where are you getting those for $9. I'm interested. How much plate voltage can the GA type take?

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
so long as it says "EL34" or "6L6" im pretty much set...

gonna grab some JJ's for the JSX at some point. tung sol 12AX7 for V1. not sure if i want EL43's, or KT77's - if it can take them.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Where are you getting those for $9. I'm interested. How much plate voltage can the GA type take?
The cheapest ones are about 9$. They may be used, but as long as they've been tested strong and there aren't leaking, they should be fine.

The 6L6GAY is the military spec version of the 6L6GA. It looks real solid.

http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=6l6ga

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=6L6GA

(best place for info about tubes, in my opinion)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts