The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
I prefer the LaBatt's Bud, in a glass. I don't know if what we get here is made in NL or NS, we have a local Canadian brewery here, Moosehead, but I just don't like the taste, if it's free I like it. :) Normally don't drink beer for the buzz, just nice to have with a good meal.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I also like mead when I can find it here. I picked up a real taste for it years ago. Cold mean in the summer and mulled mead for the winter holidays:food-smiley-004:

G

·
Moosehead
Ahh, Moosehead. I was reminiscing with my dad just yesterday about cheap beer we got s**tfaced on when we were kids. For me, a teen in the early 90's, it was Molson XXX -- cheap and fast-acting. I was surprised to hear him say (a teen in the 60's) that the cheap beer drunk was Moosehead in Cape Breton. Warm, in big bottles from the local bootlegger. He also mentioned that during his travels for work in the 70's and 80's he saw Moosehead all over the US. We were wondering if they were the first Canadian beer company to crack the US market.

And doesn't it kill you to see "Imported" on bottles of Canadian when you're traveling down south? That always cracks me up.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
When I was working in the Southwestern states, everywhere I went they tried to serve me Moosehead, a great imported Canadian beer, they told me.

When I was a kid here the cheap beer of choice was Extra Old Stock, 6.5% alcohol or Calgary Export....buffalo piss in a bottle. Anyone else here miss the old stubby bottles? I do, it was a truly Canadian thing.

G

·
"I also like mead when I can find it here."
Do what I do, and make it yourself... It's not hard... I mean if I can do it, how hard can it be eh?

"Anyone else here miss the old studdy bottles?"
I assume you mean sutBBy.... I think Red Stripe comes in stubbies....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
"I also like mead when I can find it here."
Do what I do, and make it yourself... It's not hard... I mean if I can do it, how hard can it be eh?

"Anyone else here miss the old studdy bottles?"
I assume you mean sutBBy.... I think Red Stripe comes in stubbies....
Hey I would consider trying to make it. I think I might give that a go. Where did you find your recipe for it Clint? I get some here around Christmas from a brew pub in Regina that makes it once a year and when family goes to Ireland they bring some home with them for me.

Yeah I meant stubby, must be the heat here getting to me. Red Stripe does come in stubbies but it's on my list of beers to drink only if I have no choice and there is no anti-freeze around.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Molson Ice for me. American beer is too watered-down for my tastes.

I used to drink Molson Export Ale back in my living-in-Canada days. A bit too heavy for me now. BTW, when did they get rid of the stubby bottle?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
definately glass. It just tastes sweeter cause i guess theres less gas or something.
Pretty much. When you pour a beer with a head on it a lot of what makes beer bitter goes into the head. If you ever have beer that you find too bitter then you can do that to make the taste milder. Conversely if you have beer that you find bland be extra careful to pour it without a head.

I prefer beer in a thick glass with a handle, to keep it at a fairly constant temperature.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Molson Ice for me. American beer is too watered-down for my tastes.

I used to drink Molson Export Ale back in my living-in-Canada days. A bit too heavy for me now. BTW, when did they get rid of the stubby bottle?
I think they got rid of them about twenty years ago now. I can't stomach most of the american beers, no taste and too hard on the kidneys..:D What's worse though is the Colt45 Malt Liquor. When I was down at Fort Bragg one time we had a bit of a bash in celebration and there was tons of that crap...gag

I prefer a glass too. It does improve the taste. When you go to Belgium (now there is a country that takes their beer seriously), you can only serve certain beers in certain sizes/shapes/styles of glasses made especially for that brand of beer to improve the flavour of said beer. It makes it cool walking into a pub there and seeing all these different shapes of glass etc for beer. You also won't ever see a frosted mug as it waters down the beer.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
A 2006 study found that the average Canadian walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study found that Canadians drink an average of 22 gallons of beer a year.

That means, on average, Canadians get about 41 miles per gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be Canadian, Eh? ..........:banana:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ahh, Moosehead. ............I was surprised to hear him say (a teen in the 60's) that the cheap beer drunk was Moosehead in Cape Breton. Warm, in big bottles from the local bootlegger...........

And doesn't it kill you to see "Imported" on bottles of Canadian when you're traveling down south? That always cracks me up.
I was a teen in the 70's and remember the quart bottles, in 4-paks I think. I used to like Moose and Alpine but just lost my taste for it.

I haven't been to the States for over 10yrs, just won't go there but yeah, I remeber when Moosehead made a special beer in green bottles for 'export', I worked at the brewery for a very short time, free draught didn't help matters, hmmmm. :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
135 Posts
No it does not kill me at all and I can tell you why. I was down in Idaho and Washington earlier this month and a case of 12 "imported" Kokanee cost $8.99 US! The price cracked me up! Up here the same case costs $19.00 CDN. Just shows you how much tax we pay on a case of beer!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
No it does not kill me at all and I can tell you why. I was down in Idaho and Washington earlier this month and a case of 12 "imported" Kokanee cost $8.99 US! The price cracked me up! Up here the same case costs $19.00 CDN. Just shows you how much tax we pay on a case of beer!
Did you get a chance to try any of the beer from the microbrewerys in Idaho? They make some really good beer at those.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did you get a chance to try any of the beer from the microbrewerys in Idaho? They make some really good beer at those.
I did have one pint of a local dark draft beer in a bar Wallace. but I cannot remember the name of it. It was quite a good beer, very much like a gentler Guiness.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I did have one pint of a local dark draft beer in a bar Wallace. but I cannot remember the name of it. It was quite a good beer, very much like a gentler Guiness.
If you are ever up through Idaho City stop off at a roadhouse called Rude Boys. Great place with some great micro brews.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i don't really drink beer but some alcholic drinks i like to have occasionally are smirnoff drinks.

sometimes i dont even know what im drinking my friends just bring me to places and order order order!

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
That's because McEwan's was closed in 2004 when their owners bought into Caledonian Brewery. Some of the McEwan beers are now made at the Caledonian facility but not all. Get involved with http://www.camra.org.uk/ if you have an interest in British beer.
...the first real answer i have ever gotten to this question - bless you, sir!!!

i thought mcewans was scottish, tho'..

-dh

G

·
"Where did you find your recipe for *mead*"

There's nobody here named Clint....

My recipe is the product of years of experimentation.... I think the root of it might have come from my years in the SCA... But that was more than half my life ago.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts