The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's hear about your favorite 2x12 / 4x12 speaker pairs or combinations - what they are and why you like them.

So let's hear it! :rockon:

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Weber silver and blue in 2X12. I used to be a V30/G12H guy until I found these.

Covers everything but metal well, very full, british sound from the two speakers (with lots of upper mid and slightly less bright than most Celestions), and with Weber's variety of power handling and magnets, you can make it work with nearly any amp. I use two 30 watt alnicos (1 blue 1 silver) with my two Dr.Z heads and the tone is unreal.

I really like the 10 inch versions as well, and in my 210 right now I have a weber silver ten alnico and a ceramic Eminence Little Buddy (to firm up the lows a bit)

I don't have a 4X12.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Right now, Vintage 30 and Mojo Bristish Vintage Series.

Although I really want to try a Celestion Gold and maybe pair that with something else or just have two

·
Registered
132 Posts
Depends on the rest of the rig too, but for rock and Metal can't go too wrong with V30s. Mixing in 75s sounds good too with some amps.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well I can tell ya that 2 greenbacks and 2 v30's are supposed to sound great together but my warehouse speaker v30 clones with my greenbacks are a tone not for me. I think i find v30's too cutting and sharp ( i do like how tight thebass is though) . Would prefer all greenies or what i am goign to do, mix my g12h30's back into the mix. Harsh when new, get nice and fat as broken in.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been on a bit of a speaker acquisition binge lately (been off work with a back injury for a few months - too much time on my hands). Anyways I have:

Celestion Greenback 25W (8 ohm)
Celestion Seventy 80 (8 ohm)
Eminence Red White and Blues (8 ohm)
Eminence Governor (8 ohm)
Tone Tubby TT (16 ohm)
Vintage 30 60W (16 ohm)
Weber Blue Dog 30W (16 ohm)
Fender/Jensen (stock from Blues Jr)

I have a home made 2X12 loaded with the Greenback and the 70/80. Sounds really good except for the low end which is kind of flabby/farty at times.

I have the Tone Tubby in a 1x12 to compliment the 15" speaker in my Peavey Delta Blues. Sounds extra sweet now. Just love it.

I plan on trying the Weber Blue Dog in a 1x12 cab that I am going to build for my modded Epi Valve Jr.

The Eminence Governor is in my Traynor YCV20WR. Sounds great (still can't stand the OD channel though).

The Eminence RWB is in my Blues Junior. Very sweet indeed. I actually emailed Eminence about the swap and they recommended it adding that the RWB was a very efficient speaker. I don't really know what it means but I know what it sounds like. Very nice.

The V30 is still in a box looking for a home...which I will build eventually. :banana:

·
Premium Member
16,946 Posts
higher speaker efficiency means a 5W epi VJ pushing a 412 with highly efficient speakers will completely overtake another 5W amp pushing a 412 wit say Seventy-80's.

i really want ot replace the speakers in my traynor, the low end could use a hand at higher volumes. might even close the back up too..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts