The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

What is your favorite guitar pick material?

• Total voters
101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
11,820 Posts
I've used Dunlop Tortex for years, anywhere from a .73mm down to .50mm.
I think that I used even heavier at one time but dropped down to save strings.

A while ago, a buddy gave me a Jim Dunlop Jazz II and really came to like it.
Since then I got a variety pack of DAVA picks from L&M, five in the pack.
First one I used was the small red one, same size and stiffness of the Jazz II
and has rubber around the area you grasp of the pick. Coolio.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I've really come to like the Steve Clayton "Ultem" picks. They're supposedly a synthetic "tortoiseshell" material.
They have a nice bright attack to them that I love and a good feel.

Steve Clayton USA - Ultem Guitar Picks

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I used to be a Dunlop Tortex guy. When I was younger I used 1.0mm and then started using .88mm. A few years ago I switched over to Nylon Brain picks at .88mm also and haven't looked back. I just like that the picks keep their shape longer but after a lot of playing, they get quite soft, which is when I replace them.

·
Registered
11,820 Posts
Ya, I'd lose the point off the Tortex in probably a month or so, if I was playing steady.

The Jazz II and this DAVA I'm trying, seem like they'll last quite a while.

·
Registered
11,820 Posts
The mixed pack from L&M is pretty cool.

Five different designs.
The smaller jazz type I'm using, a larger one like it,
a couple of different nylon picks and one with a metal tip.
I looked at the last one and only thought that I'd be changing strings soon.

·
Registered
334 Posts
A slight necro...

Picks are like .25 to $1 each and that's pretty cheap compared to strings or even coffee/donuts so to me, durability is not a consideration as long as they last a playing session. What I've noticed is a big difference in tone and I have a handful of different picks to use depending on my mood and the song I'm trying to butcher with my playing.

My favourite by a slight margin are Dunlop carbon fibre jazz III picks because they sound very even, have great grip, play fast, and show no wear whatsoever... essentially its the pick of the gods.

But I also like the Steve Clayton acetal picks for their ultra-bright buzzy sound, Dunlop stubby's for their "round" sound, etc. Even the tone sucking Traynor delrin picks I bought at L&M on a whim serve a purpose by saving me from palm muting (I'm not kidding... not much anyways).

101 - 109 of 109 Posts