The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 22 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
A couple of books that really deepened my understanding of music were "Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination", by Robert Jourdain, and "The Music Lesson: A Spiritual Search For Growth Through Music", by Victor Wooten. The latter was a bit New-Agey for my tastes, but his discussion of musical principles was pure gold. The title of the Jourdain book is self explanatory. Neither book explains theory in the traditional sense, but both had a profound effect on my understanding and performance of music.

The Jourdain book has been out of print for years, but I was able to get it though an online used book website.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
The Denyer guitar handbook mentioned above is excellent.

I recently found a used copy of Progressive Guitar Chords. It's from the early 90s but still available. I have many books on chords, but this book organizes them nicely in a way that I can understand. Major focus on movable chords and such, without a mention of "caged" anywhere. Good theory section at the back.
Btw the book has nothing to do with Prog Rock :).

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
If you are a Les Paul fan or even interested in their history I recommend 'Beauty of the Burst'.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
If you are a Les Paul fan or even interested in their history I recommend 'Beauty of the Burst'.
Yes, what a great book! I hope they reissue it one day, but updated with more guitars and maybe pictures of some of the ones in the original book but now 20 years later.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I hope they reissue it one day, but updated with more guitars and maybe pictures of some of the ones in the original book but now 20 years later.
Good call.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
. ...
I recently found a used copy of Progressive Guitar Chords. It's from the early 90s but still available..
I’m going to reply to my own post here. That progressive chords book explains where the major chord progressions (I ii iii IV V ) comes from in a way I can understand! And has the chords with tabs for the progression in all the keys! Maybe no big deal to some but I’ve not seen this explained before, it always just ‘was’.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I’m going to reply to my own post here. That progressive chords book explains where the major chord progressions (I ii iii IV V ) comes from in a way I can understand! And has the chords with tabs for the progression in all the keys! Maybe no big deal to some but I’ve not seen this explained before, it always just ‘was’.
Although I fully understand most music theory, I still do remember how friggin difficult is was, and still is for certain things, to wrap my head around the concepts involved. The mass sharing of information these days makes it both so much easier to get, as well as hard as F*** to get the RIGHT information. Good thing with books is that the errors are kept to a very fair minimum typically.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I picked up a copy of Zen Guitar by Philip Toshio Sudo after watching an episode of My Favorite Riff with Nikki Sixx in which he briefly discussed it. It's a good read.

That fellow on YouTube (based here in Toronto, I think) SamuraiGuitarist also recommended this book.

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good old Ralph M. - 'Streets of London' (derived from Pachelbel's Canon in G, I think).

Didn't think anyone here was aware of him, and I only know about him because of 16 years living in Britain between the early 70s and late 80s.

1 - 22 of 27 Posts