The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. Lots of effect lovers in the crowd with some impressive collections on boards; yes that includes the digital folks as well because that is still quite a commitment. I was curious what your favorite combos are to offer your sound and what you are using to get them. These would be your most often used or "always on" effects.
Amps aside, is it a single effect pedal? 5 in unison?

For me, my clean is mild Chorus & Delay via Keeley Super Mod & Boss DD3.
My raunchy is Phaser & Distortion via Keeley Super Mod & Proco RAT.
I leave my Plate Reverb on via Digitech Polara all the time. That's it...just 4 pedals for now.

Thought this would be an interesting discussion.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I play in a few different bands that require different sounds but MY sound is a big clean with a boost (maybe compression) and different reverbs. I use a digital board so it changes a lot

·
Registered
662 Posts
My sound is usually pretty basic, nothing fancy, but with some options to stack on top.

I always dial in a clean tone first; if I’m using a digital interface (my zoom g3x for example) I use the amps gain, because the digital distortion is really fizzy. But I usually go for a noise suppressor, an amp model which is usually a vox type sound, a chorus for some depth, light reverb, and I throw in a wah at the end for some versatility. I keep my volume control super low, and use it accordingly as a gain boost.

For distorted sounds, I like pretty high gain, 80’s-90’s punk style sounds, so I’ve gotten fond of using a Marshall type amp or sim, an mxr distortion +, opamp big muff, I use the built in spring reverb on my amp, and I tend to focus on the bridge humbucker; my melody maker V is perfect for that.

Other than that, I like using my guyatone phaser, compression, flanger, a touch of hair through a transparent overdrive, and finish it off with whatever other modulation effect I want.

I know it sounds all over the place, but it makes perfect sense in my head.

·
Premium Member
17,174 Posts
I went from a traditional board to a Fractal Audio FX8.

My current sound is JCM800 2203 (clean and dirty, though dirt comes from a pedal) with various reverbs and delays out front. Sometimes things call for a clean boost and POG octaves. All effects go straight into the amp, no loops here.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Archer Ikon, Wampler Tweed 57, Pigtronix Philosphers Tone and Prussian Blue Reverb in that order into either a 57 Champ or a Pro Junior. They are on all the time except the Wampler Pedal but it’s on a lot of the time like maybe 75 percent. No big search for pedals just bought these and messed with them till they sounded ok to me. They are quiet with the Firebird but getting a lot of hum with p90 guitars. Might rearrange them maybe put the Philosophers Pig first in the chain bcs I think it might be the most noisy.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
638 Posts
Overdrive (a custom thing I designed) --> Mod Double Muff --> MS-70CDR (stereo out)

Overdrive for some warm crunch,
the Muff for a bit of edge on top,
and the '70 for reverb & whatever's needed in the way of EQ, delay, chorus etc.
Stereo out to 2 clean Fenders.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I mainly get my clean and dirty tones from my amp and just a reverb pedal, I add an EP boost through the loop for leads but my favourite pedal combo is a Choralflange and Strymon El Capistan....also, enjoy my Drybell Vibe Machine and El Capistan.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I tend to be that guy who "runs pedals in between other pedals" to get certain sounds.
My sound has alot to do with my efficiently strange and convoluted setup.
I'll everybody the hard details,

But for pedals I mainly have some compression on all the time for tone shaping purposes, and a green russian muff with various overdrives on either side of it, depending on what im playing.
Its usually a dialed back boss DN-2 into the green russian, that's my personal favorite "main tone" I use

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I tend to be that guy who "runs pedals in between other pedals" to get certain sounds.

Its usually a dialed back boss DN-2 into the green russian, that's my personal favorite "main tone" I use
I used to run lots of pedals to attempt interesting stuff but have now scaled it back to simplify my favorite sounds, it was fun experimenting with lots of Reverb, Vibe, etc. I have also been without a Fuzz & a Muff for about a year now because I switched to playing different stuff. I will likely be adding Fuzz back in for texture.

Reactions: Sam-i-am

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
My main tones are always from the amp - no such thing as an 'always on' pedal in my world.

So I use a two channel amp (Mesa LSS, TA15, Sunn T50C or Fender DRRI with ABY and MIAB into the normal channel). I may occasionally use a very slight amount of amp-derived reverb in the clean channel, but most often none at all. Never on the dirt channel (so always off on the T50C, since it's a shared verb, and not an option with the TA15).

And then a pedal board with a compressor, a mild od with a level boost, a heavier od with no level boost and a few mod pedals. The pedals can vary from Timmy, OCD, Tubescreamer, Mesa Fluxdrive, Klon clones, Wampler stuff, TC stuff, etc. My most often used pedalboard has an MXR SuperComp, GoudieFX Bluedaddy, a TS808 and a Line6 M9. That small board (one level deep and about 16" wide) covers a lot ground, considering it doesn't cover a lot of ground (if you know what I mean).

Reactions: Gavz

·
Registered
371 Posts
i am down to an EP3 through the front and a Keeley [email protected] Drive. Ill still use a Phase 95 to get that 70s Thin Lizzy sound, but almost everything else is just gathering dust

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Guitar is simple. Caroline Icarus all the time or CB Naga Viper on some of the time. Marshall past breakup dialled in with snotty mids and a bit dark.

Bass is more effect-y. Maxon CP9+ on 100% of the time. EQD Gray Channel on 100% of the time. Dirty is done via Boss LS2 with a SolidgoldFX Formula 76 running in parallel to my clean(ish) sound. Kick on a Tech 21 Bass Chorus and Source Manta for synth textures. Boss RE20 in addition to those for deep space explorations.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
My core sound is just dirty.
I am not a guitar - cord - amp guy but I don't use a lot of effects and I didn't find the amp that would do it all for me.
Most of the time is a Rat and I use volume and tone know to adjust.

Bring me to the question: "Why do I have all these boxes on the floor?"

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I have a Quilter Od 200 mounted in a case with reverb, delay, Boss Harmonist and an EQD Organizer. Im running a Big Muff Deluxe between that and my Les Paul Studio. For now
I'm running the amp clean and using the Muff as my main dirty tone. When the harmonist is on and the Muff sustain set high I can get a really synthy sound out of the rig too. It makes practicing scale excercises more sonically interesting. 20180716_122954.jpg 20180716_122935.jpg

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a Quilter Od 200 mounted in a case with reverb, delay, Boss Harmonist and an EQD Organizer. Im running a Big Muff Deluxe between that and my Les Paul Studio. For now im running the amp clean and using the Muff as my main dity tone. When the harmonist is on and the Muff sustain set high I can get a really synthy sound out of the rig too. It makes practicing scale excercises more sonically interesting. View attachment 219584 View attachment 219586
Brilliant!

Reactions: Destropiate

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Boss CS3 compressor is almost always on. Sometimes turn it off when I play humbuckers.

Axle Grease Delay is always set to a slapback, unless I'm going for lots of amp reverb.

Boss OD3 for hard rock, and my slide tone.

MJM Phantom Overdrive (TS808) for solo boost

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
I have a Quilter Od 200 mounted in a case with reverb, delay, Boss Harmonist and an EQD Organizer. Im running a Big Muff Deluxe between that and my Les Paul Studio. For now
I'm running the amp clean and using the Muff as my main dirty tone. When the harmonist is on and the Muff sustain set high I can get a really synthy sound out of the rig too. It makes practicing scale excercises more sonically interesting. View attachment 219584 View attachment 219586
Neat!! In every sense of the word.

Myself, I have way too many pedals to settle on some sort of basic setup for "my sound". The last time I had something approaching a pedalboard consisted of a Univox compressor (controlled by an EHX Hot Foot) going into an MXR Envelope Filter, then an MXR 6-Band EQ, and an MXR Noise Gate. Modulation was provided by footswitching my Princeton and sending the speaker output to a DIY Vibra-tone-like cab.

But that was 40 years ago. If I was to assemble a pedalboard now, with what I have, on hand, I guess it would still start with the Univox compressor (built myself a clone a few months ago and it is just as good as I remember), and go into an envelope-controlled filter of some type (I have 4 or 5 of them at the moment), a wah-volume, an overdrive (either a CMOS invertor-based unit or a clone of the Boss OD-1), a phaser (Phase 90-derived clone), either an MXR Micro Flanger (because it's small) or an old TC Stereo Chorus/Flanger, and then a delay of some kind (too many too choose from).

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Neat!! In every sense of the word.
Thanks! I wanted something compact that I could bring around with me. After I found the Quilter here I saw the case in a second hand shop and the idea to mount it in there with a few pedals popped into my head. Its great cause I can run it with with headphones and no cab since its solid state. Its both a silent practice rig and pretty powereful gig rig in a small package.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Hall reverb, EP booster, EQ, Fender 65 Reverb (as OD only) For P90s or HB guits.
Add tubescreamer for Strat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts