The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about adding a tremolo pedal to the rig. I've used the likes of Empress and Diamond in the past, but I use trem so sparingly that I don't want to dedicate that much space, and if possible not that much cash either. Would really prefer something MXR-sized. Any recommendations? A couple I'm currently considering are the EQD Hummingbird (bonus points for top jacks!), and the old Catalinbread Semaphore if I can find one. Want something that can get fairly choppy.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I don't use trem on a lot of songs but I do love it! Although not compact I picked up the Supatrem for the ability to 1/2 speed. But in the end decided it wasn't worth the extra cash. I was using a Danelectro Cool Cat trem which sounded every bit as good to me. Currently enjoying a Cmatmods Tremoglo as it has a boost option as well.

·
Premium Member
12,287 Posts
[shameless plug] Maybe you need a pedal with a half dozen different trems, with the ability to footswitch through them? And an expression pedal to change one or many of the parameters?[/shameless plug] ;)

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[shameless plug] Maybe you need a pedal with a half dozen different trems, with the ability to footswitch through them? And an expression pedal to change one or many of the parameters?[/shameless plug] ;)
I'm listening...pm me if it's something I should be aware of!

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Ten Cent Trem from koamps.com is a mini pedal and made in Canada. Stutter Lite from SolidGoldFX also made in Canada (I have this one).

·
Registered
24,728 Posts
The TC Shaker seems like a decent pedal, largely because of the TC Toneprint app. I've been impressed with the number of parameters that can be programmed, in many cases nearly converting a pedal from one kind to another.

And as nice as choppy trem can be, fr my money you get more mileage out of anything that mimics bias trem.

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
I have a Mojohand Sugar Baby on the smaller board and like that one a lot.
The newer version is called the Bayou, only difference is the level control is external now.

The Alexander Equillibrium is a good one too, with two options of trem and a vibe too.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Never actually tried one, but I think the Malekko Sneak Attack would be a pretty cool tremolo in a standard pedal size. You can control the shape and duration of both the attack and decay, allowing for some standard and unique tremolo sounds. With the extra little external switch, it can also do tap-tempo. And that doesn't even get into what the pedal is really for, which is some cool automated volume control stuff. Not exactly "cheap" though (about $260 CAD).

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
The most beautiful trem you can get your hands on is the Bluebird Tremolo and Boost. The only issue is that they're near impossible to find nowadays.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never actually tried one, but I think the Malekko Sneak Attack would be a pretty cool tremolo in a standard pedal size. You can control the shape and duration of both the attack and decay, allowing for some standard and unique tremolo sounds. With the extra little external switch, it can also do tap-tempo. And that doesn't even get into what the pedal is really for, which is some cool automated volume control stuff. Not exactly "cheap" though (about $260 CAD).
That's pretty cool! Definitely not your average trem

Check out the Hotone Trem if you want something with a small footprint.
Sounds pretty good, but I think that may actually be *too* small. Will see if I can find one locally to check out though

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
If that's too small, then go for the Boss TR-2. I was happy with mine but I went for a Strymon Flint which is good too with the added Reverb.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I don't use trem on a lot of songs but I do love it! Although not compact I picked up the Supatrem for the ability to 1/2 speed. But in the end decided it wasn't worth the extra cash. I was using a Danelectro Cool Cat trem which sounded every bit as good to me. Currently enjoying a Cmatmods Tremoglo as it has a boost option as well.
I second the supatrem. Its not 'compact' but if you're going to use trem, this is the pedal to have. I found myself leaving it on all the time as the preamp circuit really sweetens the signal. I regret trading it.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The Tremoglo does a nice job of that as well. It has a 3 way switch. One position is the trem with speed light on. Middle is boost with light still on and lastly trem with light off. But what I call the boost mode really does add a certain something.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts