The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I was wondering what was everyone’s favorite Canadian made delay pedal! Let me know!

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I have two faves, for traditional analog delay the old Diamond ML2 was hard to beat-it was big and a bit of a pain to power but I loved it, for a modern multifunction delay the Echosystem is very nice. I didn’t bond with the echosystem at first, but now that I run in stereo more often I love what it can do, and it has an isolation transformer on the stereo output, so no hum-why doesn’t everyone do that?

·
Premium Member
18,179 Posts
My memory lane jr was pretty sweet. Had an empress vintage modified tape delay, probably would get more out of it now haha. Would love to try dr scientist stuff.

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
I had a Diamond ML Jr that I liked too, forget now why I moved it along.

I have a Dr Scientist SDD that's a good one and a Retrosonic Delay that I like too.
Neither is available new anymore though, at least it shows out of stock on the RS site.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Haven't used any Canadian delay except the Diamond Memory Lane 2. And it is definitely one of my favorites regardless of origin. I've owned it twice. The last one as recent as about 6 months ago. I would have kept it but I wanted to reduce the footprint of my pedal board to as small as possible and the Boss DM-2w gives me everything I need.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the ML 1 and MLjr in the past. Miss them both. I tried the Counterpoint from Diamond as well hoping I would prefer it to the MLjr but for some reason it didn’t resonate with me like the MLjr did... may have to grab another from the ML line!

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I have an Ellman Tone Whale Delay on my Canadian mini-board currently, which I quite like. I wanted to try to get together a Canadian-made rig, so I went with the Whale, which bumped the Boss DM-2w for the time being (although I might put together another mini-board with the DM-2w and the SoloDallas Storm as the starting point.

Here's a pretty good demo video of it:

And a gratuitous board pic:

·
Premium Member
26,100 Posts
Side note about the Retro-Sonic Phaser. Tim Larwill (Mr. Retro-Sonic) told me that some time back he received an offer for a large-ish order from a retailer in Japan; about 50 pedals IIRC. The catch was that they had to be called the "Shattered Phaser", with some sort of graphics to match. Apparently, it was in reference to the Stones song "Shattered", which had acquired some cult status there among some at that time.

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
Side note about the Retro-Sonic Phaser. Tim Larwill (Mr. Retro-Sonic) told me that some time back he received an offer for a large-ish order from a retailer in Japan; about 50 pedals IIRC. The catch was that they had to be called the "Shattered Phaser", with some sort of graphics to match. Apparently, it was in reference to the Stones song "Shattered", which had acquired some cult status there among some at that time.
I have two of the older three knob versions. Great pedal.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I really enjoyed my Diamond Quantum Leap back in the day, I've been pondering giving one a go again truth be told.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you run it in stereo? That's what sold me.
Stereo is a nice luxury. At home, sometimes. Out of the house, I’ve never had the nerve to show up with two amps!

The real win with the Echosystem is that it includes sum-to-mono (unlike my Strymon Deco, for example). That means I can run the whole back half of my board in stereo, run it all into the Empress, and then the Empress figures out if I’m in mono or stereo and adapts accordingly. Really nice feature. (I’m assuming their Reverb pedal is the same, but I don’t have a dedicated reverb on my board - Fender amp reverb for normal stuff and the Echosystem delay + reverb for huge ambient stuff where needed).

Thus, no re-wiring needed for my stereo mods, etc, when I switch from mono to stereo.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts