The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want one, but it seems that they're only coming out of the custom shop and cost around $4K.

Are there any reissues or ones that have that baseball neck thing going on that aren't expensive? I don't know much about them.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I have one, but I went the partscaster route, which I would do again in a second for exactly the reasons you state. I could never find the combination of options I wanted in a stock Fender. If you get something like a Warmoth neck, there are so many profiles to go with, I think I went with the boatneck which is plenty fat.

·
Premium Member
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one, but I went the partscaster route, which I would do again in a second for exactly the reasons you state. I could never find the combination of options I wanted in a stock Fender. If you get something like a Warmoth neck, there are so many profiles to go with, I think I went with the boatneck which is plenty fat.
But the boat neck is a bit of a "v" - I guess I'd be looking for a "U"?

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Jerome assembles great guitars using parts from the usual suspects - Warmoth, Muskiraft, MJT, USACG, Guitar Mill, Allparts and so forth. You can pay him or any one of several other members here to do it for you, or you could do it yourself. Or hunt around for one for sale that has been put together with parts that appeal to you. All these options cost way less than the Fender Custom Shop.

A few from the archives, including a Fender Nocaster and a Monty blackguard:

·
Registered
547 Posts
The american vintage '52 I owned had a large "U" shaped neck, great pickups and was fun to play.
New ones are now quite spendy but used examples come up from time to time.
Damn, now I want one again

·
Premium Member
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The situation I'm in is that I have my Monty and I've sold almost everything else. I'll be moving my last few cheapos and then getting another real nice guitar that I want to hang on to as my alternate for playing on the main level of my house, or when the monty is getting worked on.

The american vintage '52 I owned had a large "U" shaped neck, great pickups and was fun to play.
New ones are now quite spendy but used examples come up from time to time.
Damn, now I want one again
Thanks, that's kinda the answer I was looking for. What's a good price for a used one?

·
Registered
547 Posts
The one I had was from 2010 I believe. I bought it in early 2011 for 1k in unplayed condition with case and goodies.
The original owner liked the look but not the large neck so he played it very little. I played the crap out of it and
traded it three years ago for a Les Paul studio.
I do dumb stuff all the time.

·
Premium Member
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you checked out Velvet Jones Deluxe, or Brown Bear out of TO? I'm sure one could be built to spec.

Velvet Jones Tele Deluxe

Brown Bear custom Koa Telecaster
I've heard of Brown Bear, but not VJ.

Since I'll only be owning 2 guitars, I want the tele to be something I can move without much loss (just in case) - so it'll likely be a fender, maybe a danocaster, etc. I'm not a fan of suhr or anderson headstocks, so unfortunately, they're not an option. If I come across a no-name beauty that's already put together, I could change my mind. The one @StevieMac had (the black one with the biggsby) is an example, but I don't think it had a fat neck.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I have a Danocaster 0.90 fat C and I don't consider it fat at all. My old 2010 Nocaster had an insanely fat neck. I would suggest a Nocaster. They're worth (forget what people ask) about $1,800 for NOS - $2,300 for relic used.

·
Premium Member
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Danocaster 0.90 fat C and I don't consider it fat at all. My old 2010 Nocaster had an insanely fat neck. I would suggest a Nocaster. They're worth (forget what people ask) about $1,800 for NOS - $2,300 for relic used.
That's why I'm thinking fat U...I'll be heading to Music Pro here in Barrie today and then likely to Cosmo to get a better feel for things.

good to know re Danocaster..but I think the pickings are scarce at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I'm with Tim on the used Nocaster recommendation. They are pretty popular so could get most, if not all your money back if you decided to move it down the road.

Here's the deliciously fat neck on My Echopark DeLeon

·
Premium Member
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's the size I'm looking for. Looks like a Boa swallowing a bigger Boa.

I forgot to mention that I want it worn - strictly for feel; I don't care about the aesthetics.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
That's the size I'm looking for. Looks like a Boa swallowing a bigger Boa.

I forgot to mention that I want it worn - strictly for feel; I don't care about the aesthetics.
I just looked up the specs for the neck out of curiosity. Here is what he sent me:

the jescar 5085 is vintage plus some..my recommendation for frets...and neck size is @.098- .105 for the '56 soft V.

Big neck but comfortable to play

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
I was in the L&M on steeles a few weeks ago and they had a baseball bat tele on the wall. Might have been a U neck. I played it for a couple of seconds just feel the neck. Didn't look at the price.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The Fender Richie Kotzen Telecaster has a pretty big neck. The neck was too big for me to be honest, but it sounds like it has everything you're asking for.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
+1 on a used NoCaster Relic for a true baseball bat neck. If you're patient & have cash you should be able to find one for $2500 or less.

IME most 52 AVRIs aren't quite as chunky, but some MIM models may be worth a look (Baja, 50s Esquire, 50s Road Worn etc.) if you're trying to take it easy on your pocketbook.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts