The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Thanks. Here is a quick update of getting back on this build. Now that the Moderne build is pretty much wrapped up. My friend wanted to go with all wood binding, covers, and even pickguard.

I also just glued up the maple binding on the fret board. I used another fret board in my bench vise to apply even pressure.

the next morning I glued up the other side.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I trimmed the binding on the sides and added the binding to the end. The maple binding and inlay looks in the dark rosewood board.

glue up -

placed it in my radius sanding jig and went through the grits up to 600. I marked the maple with red pencil and the rosewood with yellow after each grit to make sure I took enough off with each grit.

Nice, smooth and shiny ready for frets -

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Man, I love that with the wood inlays. Will you be putting some sort of finish on it, or just let the maple get a natural patina over time?

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Man, I love that with the wood inlays. Will you be putting some sort of finish on it, or just let the maple get a natural patina over time?
I have also given this a bit of thought but I am building this for a friend as an unfinished kit. I will mention that to him regarding the maple and how it will age over time and he can make that decision.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Added some maple filler strips. It's nice having more space because of the thickness of the neck. Usually I do not do filler strips over two way rods but have lots of space here. No pics of clamped up. Once dry I just put it on my bandsaw and setup the fence at the correct width and trimmed down to about 1/16".

Probably could've went tighter but then I wouldn't get to use my hand plane. ;-) Lots of reasons to keep the blank as square as possible for as long as possible.

Cleaned up with plane, scraper, and chisel at the head stock.

I marked out the neck profile on the side and will cut out outside of the line. I'm trying to minimize the amount of wood that the CNC machine has to take. No point in cutting more than I have to. It will cut mostly air but I could make a stock body the same size as my template and use that for the CNC machine, which would make things quicker.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I cut the neck blank down to size to get ready for machining the profile and somewhat final shape.

Into the CNC machine using the index pins I drilled in both top and bottom of the neck, so the alignment is correct -

rough carve -

finish carve -

4 degree angle tenon shoulders -

and cut out / taper -

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
The level of precision in these builds almost makes me giddy.

I love these threads.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The level of precision in these builds almost makes me giddy.

I love these threads.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. I'm starting to get better with the CAM side of it. Lots of testing speeds and feeds and orders of operations. I had a couple catastrophic failures, just like one would have with a router and template. I had one of the necks head stock explode when I was cutting too deep a pass and in the wrong direction. Lesson learned. I still have a couple of issues but the necks are cutting really nicely now. Here is a little video I made of this whole process for this specific neck. I have 4 procedures here and the last one you can see I manually cut out some wood that could've been an issue. I might add one more procedure to take care of that. Once that is done I can use the dust collector and just let it run, with some confidence. Most of the time I hover over the machine with my hand on the emergency stop button. 🤣

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Onto the head stock veneer. I'm using a hard maple head stock veneer with a Gibson style logo. Here are the initial design choices.

Decided to go with the "Longer" logo.

Import into Fusion 360 for CAM and setup all the tool paths.

I grabbed a block of hard maple and jointed and thickness sanded and cut out on the CNC.

I decided to just use the maple as the inlay and cut out a pocket all the way around it to fill with black epoxy. The head stock will be painted black and then the logo scraped to reveal the maple underneath. Similar to how Gibson did this with their MOP logos.

Filled with black slow set epoxy.

I'll give that a couple days to cure and then thickness sand down to reveal the inlay.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I use slow set epoxy and it takes a few days to setup. The upside is it flows out nice and there are never any air bubbles.

Thickness sanded down through the epoxy to expose the inlay.

Sliced off about 1/8" off then thicknessed down to 1/16" or so.

clamped up onto the head stock.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
More work on the head stock. I cut very close to the line of the head stock outline created from my template. Then put the head stock template back on and sanded a little closer.

Flush trimmed with the router table.

Then cleaned up the veneer outline, cut truss rod access, and rough sanded the transition from neck to head stock.

and a quick mockup.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
broke out the glue pot and some M&H 192 HHG. First time using this stuff and it went really well. Measured up some glue and water. Then cooked it up for a little while.

Set up the clamps, wiped both surfaces with naptha, and got out the heat gun to warm up the surfaces. This stuff was very easy to work with compared with the last HHG I had. It was quite a bit stronger gram strength wise which made it much more difficult to work.

All clamped up and wiped with hot water to clean up the squeeze out. Looking forward to unclamping and checking it out.

I'll throw the rest in the fridge and use it to set the neck once I am ready.

Cheers Peter.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts