The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Quick update - cut the control and switch cavities and cover recesses in the back. Always relieved to see the wire channel in the right spot. ;)

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
You're really quite mad you know.

I'm just saying.

Got around to cutting the fret board. We're using hard maple trap inlays with a rosewood fret board with maple binding. Cut a small piece of maple and thicknessed on the CNC machine.
View attachment 349351

then cut the trap inlays.
View attachment 349352

routed the inlay pockets and glued the inlays into the flat board. I left it on the CNC machine and will radius and slot after the glue dries.

View attachment 349354

radius

View attachment 349355

and finshed up. I love using wood as inlay material because you can cut it almost exactly the same size. The glue makes the wood expand and you get great gapless inlays.

View attachment 349356

View attachment 349358

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You think that is mad? Look at this - angled fixture to hold a Les Paul body at the correct angle to route the neck and pup routes.

and this one is every crazier! - compound angle to cut the secondary control route for the underside of the cavity to match the top carve of a vintage LP. This one is gonna take a bit more time.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
You think that is mad? Look at this - angled fixture to hold a Les Paul body at the correct angle to route the neck and pup routes.

View attachment 350078

and this one is every crazier! - compound angle to cut the secondary control route for the underside of the cavity to match the top carve of a vintage LP. This one is gonna take a bit more time.
View attachment 350079

Cheers Peter.

Crazy like a fox eh?

Awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
You're really quite mad you know.

I'm just saying.
Following. Mad as a Covid Hatter me thinks!
Magic Peter, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm not so sure. I would hate to keep track of the amount of time I have spent on this. Oh well. What else can I do in my spare time? ;)
Could you build me a Strat neck to those dimensions?? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Flipped it over and carved the top, marked for the switch and pot holes with a tiny bit and cut the body out of the blank.

rough top carve -

half way through finish carve -

finished -

Some interesting fun facts; 10 mins for rough carve and 12 minutes for finish carve.

Cutout -

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
I'm not so sure. I would hate to keep track of the amount of time I have spent on this. Oh well. What else can I do in my spare time? ;)
Oh I hear that. I'd shudder to think of what a real price would be including all your time and materials alone, forget about the programming and research et cetera.

I think maybe you do this because you love it, or because you have a longer view goal (maybe both).

Either way, it's great to follow along.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I finished up my base outline for the angled ramp. The idea is to make different bases for different guitars. My Les Paul Standard has a neck angle of about 4 degrees. So I have wedges to hold the ramp at that angle. Then I create a base with the outline of the body on it and index it on the ramp.

You can see the bare ramp in the above pictures. Here is the base outline for the LP Standard.

Fusion 360 model -

I cut it out of 1/4" MDF because that is all I had handy.

test fit around the body -

indexed to the ramp jig set at about 4 degrees -

Place the body on the ramp inside the base outline -

Seeing as this is the first time I have cut these angled routes I marked in pencil where they should be cut and ran the process in air to make sure they were aligned properly. They looked pretty good.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
What finish is this getting?
I'm building it for a friend who will be finishing it himself. It will be a solid colour top but not sure what colour. He also didn't want binding. I think he's doing a faux binding.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Double checked my toolpaths and adjusted my stock in Fusion 360 so I could touch off the top of the body at the neck plane.

Ran a couple times in air to make sure everything was good and then cut the neck mortise and pup routes.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Now that you have the angles right, you might make a few bucks doing them. Be lots (some?) of demand for made to order, at better quality woods etc than the import choices. At the right $, I’d buy something like this, unfinished to throw in/on my own choices. Warmoth is ridiculous these days.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Now that you have the angles right, you might make a few bucks doing them. Be lots (some?) of demand for made to order, at better quality woods etc than the import choices. At the right $, I’d buy something like this, unfinished to throw in/on my own choices. Warmoth is ridiculous these days.
What's ridiculous? The Honduran Mahogany body blank alone is $200. When I tell people I build guitars they say, hey can you build me one for $100. Can't go by what Walmart and Bestbuy for prices.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
My last body finished was north of $700, bass neck not a lot less than a grand.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts