The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
The last of my Russky EL84's. I bought a 50-lot from a seller in the Ukraine when there were still lots of military tubes floating around, then the supply dried up. These are 6P14P-EV's, equivalent to 7189's, tough tubes, great sounding. At the time I also bought quantities of the high end Gold Lion N709/EL84's from New Sensor to use. Vox AC30 circuits destroyed them in short order as they couldn't handle the voltages. The EV's didn't even break a sweat.

View attachment 409849
This is the 7189 equivalent isn’t it? Sturdy little tubes.
**Should had read correctly dumb me…

I have this tube in a lot of my hifi EL84 tube amps and won’t probably have to replace them before I’m out of this planet…

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I got a new EZ81 out of Bulgaria today. Tesla brand, made in Czechoslovakia. Arrived about a month early and was well packaged inside a metal can with a screw lid. (y)

I had trouble finding one. And I already had the amp built (AC15 clone) when I discovered I did not have an EZ81. o_O
AC15, well done! It's a very complicated task.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
I got a new EZ81 out of Bulgaria today. Tesla brand, made in Czechoslovakia. Arrived about a month early and was well packaged inside a metal can with a screw lid. (y)

I had trouble finding one. And I already had the amp built (AC15 clone) when I discovered I did not have an EZ81. o_O
Should you run into this issue in the future, contact me....I have tons of NOS and good used tubes. :)

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
AC15, well done! It's a very complicated task.
Thank you
The AC15 clone lives BTW! And it is a very loud little amp, produces an amazing amount of sound energy 😋 (good sound energy, not bad sound energy)

Only one little hiccup on startup. I had no B+. Started looking and tracking and found I had somehow connected the HV leads from the transformer to rec. tube terminals 2 & 6 instead of 1 & 7.
wtf? 😵

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wow !!!! .... reminds me of the Oil shortages of the 1970's .

Back in the 1970's ,during the " Oil Shortage ", their would be cars lined up for blocks to get gas at gas stations.
My Father's boss has a large boat and invited us to go fishing , 3 miles off the California coast.

We literally, had to dodge large Oil Tankers loaded with oil waiting to bring oil into the US ..... their were probably over 100 tankers.....

Maybe, we should just start relying on Jfet diodes, instead of tubes

161 - 172 of 172 Posts