The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
PSA for those presently in need of JJ 6V6S tubes that appear to be sold out everywhere.
There are a few Apex matched quad sets available at Lee's Electronic Supply in Vancouver (Lee's Electronic Components) -- a great little shop that has all sorts of parts. I picked up a burned-in set this morning; there were a couple remaining, and they do ship.
You're welcome!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The last of my Russky EL84's. I bought a 50-lot from a seller in the Ukraine when there were still lots of military tubes floating around, then the supply dried up. These are 6P14P-EV's, equivalent to 7189's, tough tubes, great sounding. At the time I also bought quantities of the high end Gold Lion N709/EL84's from New Sensor to use. Vox AC30 circuits destroyed them in short order as they couldn't handle the voltages. The EV's didn't even break a sweat.

Road surface Recreation Indoor games and sports Font Asphalt

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The last of my Russky EL84's. I bought a 50-lot from a seller in the Ukraine when there were still lots of military tubes floating around, then the supply dried up. These are 6P14P-EV's, equivalent to 7189's, tough tubes, great sounding. At the time I also bought quantities of the high end Gold Lion N709/EL84's from New Sensor to use. Vox AC30 circuits destroyed them in short order as they couldn't handle the voltages. The EV's didn't even break a sweat.

View attachment 409849
I had to login just to say....sweet! And ....a (y)

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Who use a 300B tubes in their guitar amp ?
No one. Yet. ..correction.. it was tried!
You probably know this...but it's an esoteric tube used in the single ended triode ,SET, ultra hifi stereo amp world. The amps these go in are thousands of dollars, some are high 5 figures. Usually paired with large Western Electric, Altec, JBL, Tannoy or custom built horn based speakers.
The original use for these was theatre amplifiers and I think telephone repeater amps, placed all over the US and even on the ocean floor to amplify voice signals. We're talking about 1930s technology, but the tube was designed to be as linear as possible with a minimum of amplifier components and other tubes, and the design life was over 10 000 hours. A very good amp can be built with 2 tubes, 3 counting a rectifier tube.
The early WE theatre amplifiers are the holy grail for the SET amp fans - most are now in Japan where they began collecting them back in the 70s, along with Marantz and McIntosh tube gear.
Anyways......

I bought an amp today for $175 with 4 Ruby 6L6GCs in it. Am I rich now?

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
Not sure how bad it is, but I managed to get 2 pairs of 6l6s. One pair are JJs and the other is TungSols. I guess it's harder to find certain ones like 6v6s and el34s?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, I’m ok now power tubes wise: got a fair price for three quads of Marshall EL34B’s (Shuguang basic) from Watford Valves in Great Britain. Stock for life as I don’t use my five EL34’s amps daily. I also have two well used quads (EH and JJ’s) and three used but good testing quads of Tesla’s old production…

141 - 160 of 172 Posts