The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I received this notice too;

Hi _ _ _ _ _ ,
The Government of Canada has applied a 35% duty on all tubes made in Russia. Unfortunately, this means a huge price increase and it will be applied as we receive new shipments of these tubes. This will affect the following brands.

Sovtek
Electro-Harmonix
Tung-Sol
Mullard
Svetlana
Genalex - Gold Lion

Thank-you,

Dan
thetubestore Inc.

·
Premium Member
19,730 Posts
Time for guitar players to become more open to newer technology. It makes no sense to be committed to technology that only comes from China or Russia. Trouble was going to happen eventually. Now it's arrived.
the only kicker here is the chip shortage currently happening.

Cant say I miss paying for yearly retubes myself.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
Time for guitar players to become more open to newer technology. It makes no sense to be committed to technology that only comes from China or Russia. Trouble was going to happen eventually. Now it's arrived.
I agree but my concern is, all these new digital amps have chips in them. Those chips keep getting replaced by newer ones. Like anything else that has computer chips in them, manufacturers move on without worry about supporting the previous versions. Just look at our computers, in a few number of years it becomes obsolete. I've been in the computer business for 45 years now even before most things were 'computerized'. A lot of those computers are now useless.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
I agree but my concern is, all these new digital amps have chips in them. Those chips keep getting replaced by newer ones. Like anything else that has computer chips in them, manufacturers move on without worry about supporting the previous versions. Just look at our computers, in a few number of years it becomes obsolete. I've been in the computer business for 45 years now even before most things were 'computerized'. A lot of those computers are now useless.
True, but for example, my Tone Master Deluxe Reverb sounds great and doesn’t need any upgrades. I guess if something fries on it, I’ll be screwed, but depending on tubes could also leave me screwed. Same with the Helix. They upgrade the firmware from time to time, but it sounds great as is. Can’t a lot of old computers still run, they just don’t have the power to run software that the new tech can run?

·
Premium Member
19,730 Posts
And when tubes run out? Or those who repair them pass on?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
And this just in:

Attention All EHX Tube Customers

Yesterday, Russia imposed a ban on the export of some 200 goods in response to the sanctions imposed on it over the current conflict in Ukraine. We have confirmed that the ban applies to our seven brands of Russian tubes. Currently, the ban is set to remain in effect until the end of the calendar year.

Given this export ban, we will not be receiving any further tube inventory for these brands. A myriad of pressures — including continued strains on the supply chain, escalating internal expenses, mounting inflation, and an ever-evolving legal landscape (particularly in light of the Ukraine conflict) — have created a very fluid and ambiguous environment. Until we can properly assess the impact of these factors, we will not honor any new orders or ship any more Russian tubes on back order.

Rock & Roll,
Mike Matthews
Founder & President​

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
And when tubes run out? Or those who repair them pass on?
I'm not saying tubes are better or will last longer. Not into that argument about which will last longer or what have you. I am at the age where I am using what I like and not be worried about what will happen to my gear in 10 years or so. All I'm saying is these new amps are all dependent on chips that won't be around. Specially with the way technology is evolving.

·
Registered
468 Posts
True, but for example, my Tone Master Deluxe Reverb sounds great and doesn’t need any upgrades. I guess if something fries on it, I’ll be screwed, but depending on tubes could also leave me screwed. Same with the Helix. They upgrade the firmware from time to time, but it sounds great as is. Can’t a lot of old computers still run, they just don’t have the power to run software that the new tech can run?
I think the answer is to realize that amps are now in the class of disposable technology and make your price decisions accordingly. I'm using a Quilter Superblock US. It was about $325 new and if I get a few years out of it, I'll have gotten my value out of it. For recording I'm now using the Scuffham S-Gear plugin. No hardware needed.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
3,366 Posts
I believe that many of the performance issues in DSP is in the coding. A knowledgeable software team should put the time and effort into coding an efficient algorithm for an amp however, the demand for "we want it right now" doesn't leave much time for proper development...always in hurry-up mode...we are the problem.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts