The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CBC doc about Harold Ballard triggered an ear worm for me. The song is Fourteen and Me, by Stephen Stanley, (Lowest of the Low, other bands....), written for CBC's Hockey Day in Canada a decade ago. I first found it via David Bidini from Rheostatics.

For some reason the song really resonates with me. I find myself wishing there was something from my childhood that I loved that much, and then broke my heart. (full disclosure: not a leafs fan!)

So this morning, 10 years after he wrote the song, I found an email address online and sent a brief message to Stephen Stanley. In less than an hour he replied. Summed up, I told him how much the song resonates with me, and thanked him for sharing his art. Truth be told, I wouldn't know or recognize anything else he's done. But this one song...... it gets to me, and I thought he should know.

I don't write a lot of fan letters. I've never regretted the few I have written, but there are a few now deceased authors I wish I had contacted to let them know how much their work meant to me.

My point, (and I do have one), if there is an artist out there that has created something that has meaning to you, find a way to tell them. It doesn't cost much, (if anything), and you both will have a slightly better day.

Peace,

Paul

· Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, '22 LP Studio
6,628 Posts
I remember writing to Emm Gryner in regards to Fetching Decay.

She also got back to me and I thought that was pretty swell.

Certain time, people deserve the chance to st least know someone deeply appreciates them.

Glad something spoke to you so much and it's nice to know the artist got to know too :)

· Premium Member
20,349 Posts
I sent an email to Ted Quinlan (Toronto jazz guitarist) a few weeks after purchasing his CD at the release at The Jazz Room in Waterloo.
That "album" is entitled "Absolutely Dreaming" and remains among my favourites. I congratulated him on its nomination for a Juno.
He wrote a a very nice reply within a few days.

Reactions: Mark Brown

· Registered
19,689 Posts
You make a good point, Paul. On a larger scale, it's a good reminder to thank and commend others more often and on a regular basis. While family and friends come first, we shouldn't forget others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts