The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I've met quite a few people through kijiji; some of them turned out to be well known musicians. Have you guys ever done transactions with "famous" people? Or have you owned gear previously owned by well known people?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I sold a Fury prototype guitar to Myles Goodwyn of April Wine fame 8 years ago. That was cool. Talked to him for a while on the phone and hashed out the details. My parents ended up dropping the guitar off with Glenn McDougall. They stayed for a couple hours as Glenn gave them a tour of his shop. My Dad is an avid wood worker so was very interested and impressed with the jigs Glenn has built. I have quipped to my family that my Dad doesn't do wood work for the end product, but just so he has a reason to build jigs.

·
Premium Member
16,655 Posts
My singer ended up getting a pedal from Ian Thornley through a fluke.

When I sold my PODxt it was to a local player who seems to do well (Doug Varty).

I would have loved to be the guy in town who sold a vintage fender to Joe Bonamassa's gear guy though!

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
Spider Sinnaeve (Streetheart) came into the music store I worked at in the early 80s a few times. In particular, he seemed to be checking out the Peavey T40 but never bought one.

A couple of longhaired greaseballs came in and hang up a poster for their concert in the basement of the Cent. Some Alice Cooper wannabes named Motley Crue (I don't specifically remember which two, though).

Queen City Kids and The Northern Pikes were regular customers - are they famous?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Ran into Scott Weiland in a guitar store on Sunset Blvd 10-11 years ago. He was looking for a guitar for a Velvet Revolver video. Best tattoo work I've ever seen. The store owner said I missed Slash by half an hour.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought an Ensoniq Mirage from Brian MacLoud in about 1990. I still have it and pull it out of the closet sometimes. It came with a bunch of disks, some factory, some that he had put together. The disks are full of sounds that were on Headpins and Chicago albums. Not the cool Chicago albums - just the wimpy ballad ones.

As I write this, I’m thinking I should pull it out of the closet again. Pretty cool, lo fi, retro sounds that are fun to get lost in.

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
Two possible examples:
1: I was trying out acoustic guitars in the acoustic room at a Long & McQuade at the same time as Tom Jackson--we both bought guitars that day--I bought my 12 string.

2: When I bought my Ibanez archtop the salesman was Greg Godovitz.

Close enough?

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
Did you feel ok afterwards? Personally, I would have crossed the street to pass them.
I once heard that you can get chlamydia if one of those guys just looks at you.
Nah, but they knew I knew who they were.

As far as getting chlamydia from just looking, I believe you're thinking of Ratt.

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
I bought an Ensoniq Mirage from Brian MacLoud in about 1990. I still have it and pull it out of the closet sometimes. It came with a bunch of disks, some factory, some that he had put together. The disks are full of sounds that were on Headpins and Chicago albums. Not the cool Chicago albums - just the wimpy ballad ones.

As I write this, I’m thinking I should pull it out of the closet again. Pretty cool, lo fi, retro sounds that are fun to get lost in.
I have a thing for off-beat lofi keyboards.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Red Shea who played with Gordon Lightfoot was a friend of mine. Red would be the last person who thought he was famous but was a very respected guitar player by those that knew him. Unfortunately, I didn't pick up a guitar until after his death.

P

·
0 Posts
When I was in college in the late '80's I was driving down Queen St in the rain and Bruce Cockburn darted in front of my car.... I almost hit him. For a split second Bruce Cockburn was looking at me with his hands up in the air. Then he ran away.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
When I was in college in the late '80's I was driving down Queen St in the rain and Bruce Cockburn darted in front of my car.... I almost hit him. For a split second Bruce Cockburn was looking at me with his hands up in the air. Then he ran away.
I'm going to look through all of Cockburn's songs and find the one he wrote about this incident.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts