The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Fake Binding and Hole Patching

1K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  THRobinson 
#1 ·
Had a couple of "quick" questions... minor things I was debating on for a couple of guitars.

First... Squier headstock tree removal. Not a fan of the dual trees, upgrading to staggered tuners so wanted to lose a tree and keep the other. Problem is, the hole left behind. Plan was to get a thin maple dowel and some glue and tap it in, sand the headstock down (putting a partscaster decal on) and clearcoat it. Only thing I can think of. Anyone try this? How'd it look? Mainly concerned with how well it will or will not blend in.

Second... Les Paul custom binding, like around the headstock, has that nice alternating black/white striping. Can you buy that as a stick on, like pin-striping for a car? Guitar has binding, but just cream/white. Sides are fine, but be nice to go around the top edge with the multi-stripe versus cutting out the binding and redoing it all.

#3 ·
That was my concern... side grain vs end grain. Better than an open hole but not ideal. Hoping maybe a 'trick' to it. I guess fill in the hole, but not level to the top, then very carefully with an xacto cut a small circle/plug for the top and try to match the grain?

Lot of work, but rather do a lot of work and have it blend in than be lazy about it and not look too great. I'm stripping off the clear coat so at least that gives a few extra options.

Side question... anyone know what these Squiers use for a clear? Acrylic Lacquer? I've seen some recommendations in another forum I posted in (Squier forum) but no one seems to know what is currently on the neck. I only plan to sand the headstock face, want to grab a small rattle can of clear, but what's on it now is matte and not sure what.

#5 ·
Well upside is it's maple... good deal of it's not really 'grainy'. Also a downside... at least with darker wood with lots of grain, the option to use a diluted stain and 000 brush is there, can blend it in a bit.

I think main issue will be edges. Would need to make the plug thin and very thin at the edges.

It'll be an interesting afternoon project I guess, that will either work out well, or aggravate the heck outta me. :D

#11 ·
You guys must use some big decals. :D

No... decal won't cover where the string trees are, It'll be the same size/shape as the Squire logo.

Veneer on the top I don't want to do, because what grain the headstock currently has is near the logo and end of the headstock and actually pretty nice. Just happens to be open and kinda plain right where the trees are and will show the most.

I'll see about making a plug with the face on the end.

Anyone know about Question #2?

#14 ·
I don't think auto shops have the black/white pattern of a Gibson... looks good on a Gibson, can't imagine anyone wanting it on a car.

I can find decal/sticker type binding of abalone... but not the black/white stripes.

#22 ·
have you seen what the string angle looks like when you remove the string tree you dont like.?
Usually ( at least for me) string trees serve a very useful purpose and I like having 2 of them to keep things nice and even.

IF you haven't done it, release the strings from the tree and see what that gets you...
It may not be what you want.

JUst a thought
G.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.