The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i want to know, is there any guitar manufacturer that builds explorer style guitars WITH a floyd rose style tremolo. The price must be lower than 600$. I found the jackson kelly js32 but i dont know if they are still manufacturing them because i cant find them in online shop of guitar center or musicians friend. Also, what is the feel of the kelly neck? Is it similar to an ibanez, dinky... im starting to save up for it

L

·
0 Posts
Epiphone Goth Explorer is all that I can think of at the moment. Discontinued though.
I couldn't tell you about any other brands in your price range.
Place a WTB ad? maybe get a guit kit and build your own?

·
Premium Member
16,639 Posts
Could look for a used ibanez xiphos, jackson kelly, peavey v-type, I believe schecter offers one as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could look for a used ibanez xiphos, jackson kelly, peavey v-type, I believe schecter offers one as well.
The thing is, i dont like when the back of the guitar is shaped with 2 "wings" like a flying v so the ibanez xiphos is not my kind of explorer

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
Something like this Dean?

Z 79 Floyd Flame Top - Trans Brazilia | Dean Guitars

I own a Dean Z '79 without Floyd and it's a decent guitar. Korean made, not perfect, certainly not up to US (or even Japanese) made standards, but bang for the buck, it's pretty good. I couldn't justify going to deep into a 'coffeetable guitar' as I knew I would only use it sporadically. It serves it's purpose - and is as close as I'll get to a Dimebag sig guitar. Here's my mod'd Dean:

IMG_0264.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
@High/Deaf as far as explorer guitars go, those deans are pretty badass. Sweet guitar!
Thanks. And I agree - badass.

I played quite a few Epi's and the neck just didn't work for me. Found a used Gibson Goth that wasn't bad to play but was beat up and the look didn't totally appeal to me (hey, to each their own). It was in a store and the owner would not budge on price so I passed on it and got a nice deal on that Dean down the road. I changed pickup rings, knobs, pickups (SD'59 in the neck and a JS Moore in the bridge) and a few other little things and it's a great player. I especially like the bound body and neck, something I didn't find on many other Exp-shaped guitars.

And I love Dimebag so I could live with the headstock - something many people hate (and I get that).

Reactions: Ronbeast

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something like this Dean?

Z 79 Floyd Flame Top - Trans Brazilia | Dean Guitars

I own a Dean Z '79 without Floyd and it's a decent guitar. Korean made, not perfect, certainly not up to US (or even Japanese) made standards, but bang for the buck, it's pretty good. I couldn't justify going to deep into a 'coffeetable guitar' as I knew I would only use it sporadically. It serves it's purpose - and is as close as I'll get to a Dimebag sig guitar. Here's my mod'd Dean:

View attachment 82849
Wow, the dean looks fantastic, but the msrp is around 900 and its 600 atm

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
So buy a used one?
Good call. I bought mine new probably 10 years ago - for $600 (no FR though). So if you can find a used one and even if the seller is one of those guys that wants his money back, it may work out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts