The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been playing the past week with medium gauge 11 to 52 on my 52 Tele. I found my self getting used to it. As I've been playing acoustic exclusively with 13-56 for that past 2 years I've worked up quite a bit of strength in my fingers.
But for some techniques that I'm used to doing that require more finesse than strength I found it awkward. Mainly for things on the top 3 strings. I had a set of 10-46 on briefly for a couple days but it just seemed to be too flexible and loose. So I figured I'd try a set of strings that were light on top and medium on bottom. But finding that locally proved to be hard. The closest D'addario had was light on top and heavy on bottom. 10, 13, 17 then on bottom 30, 40, 52. They also have a medium set thats a tad lighter on the bottom. 11, 14, 18 and bottom 28, 38, 49. So what I thought I'd do for an experiment as buy both sets and utilize 10, 13, 17 from one set to the 28, 38, 49 of the other set.
When I got home I thought I'd try the light top, heavy bottom as is first. the bottom sounded great but to me the feel was so unbalance. I felt it was to much contrast between the top and bottom. This is a set D'addario has packaged together so lots of players must like it. So I took the bottom 3 strings off and put on the 28, 38, 49 from the other set.
Instantly it felt great. It sounded great. To me it was a perfect balance the normal light would have a bottom of 26,36,46 so not a lot of difference but enough to give the tele some bass kick and the tension on the set as a whole to be so much more balanced. This is a very hard gauge combo to find packaged together. I like to be able to go in to my local music store to pickup what ever I need in the way of strings but unfortunately I'm going to have to rely on strings and beyond. Pyramid and Curt Mangan are to string manufactures that either have those gauges packaged or will customize it for me. I find it a pain ordering on line and waiting but I love this gauge combo so guess I have no choice. Its hard to believe that I'm the only one that likes these gauges in a set.

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
Curt mangan makes good strings.

I am a fan of the 10-52 and 12-60 sets.

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
I have experiment with everything from 8-38s to 11-50s, custom sets and have ended up back with 9-46s. They suit my weak puny little girly man fingers just right. On acoustics tried everything form 13-56s to 10-50s. Settled on 11-52s. Personally I felt 13s should be shot. It is important to do what you have done to fine out what works best. Oh, I do have 11-50s on the SG, but they are tuned down.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have experiment with everything from 8-38s to 11-50s, custom sets and have ended up back with 9-46s. They suit my weak puny little girly man fingers just right. On acoustics tried everything form 13-56s to 10-50s. Settled on 11-52s. Personally I felt 13s should be shot. It is important to do what you have done to fine out what works best. Oh, I do have 11-50s on the SG, but they are tuned down.
I'm constantly noodling and running scales, etc. My Martin dreads need at least 13 - 56 to drive the tops. Having played them for the past 2 years I've built up quite a bit of strength. I did come from using 9 -42 for about 25 years before graduating to 9.5 set. But now even a regular set of 10-46 feel a bit too slinky. I like having beefed up the bottom 3 strings to give a bit tighter tension. I could have lived with the 11-52 but there were just a couple things that it made it slightly awkward. So the 10 to 49 was the perfect compromise.
On my Martins using 13 - 56 I can bend the b string up a whole tone from the second fret on. Can vibrato the bass strings. It was just a matter of playing the shit out of the guitars until my fingers strengthened.
I'm thinking that an SG will be my next guitar but I'll be looking for one with a full profile 50's style neck on it.

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
CM strings will be the first ones I'll try. Do you order straight from Curt Mangan or from Strings and Beyond?
I think we got them direct. I believe my bandmate placed the orders.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I’m with the OP & really like 10-13-17-28-38-49 on a Gibson scale.

IME the wound strings on a 10-52 are overpowering & tend to bind in the nut.

GHS makes a nickel Eric johnson set that comes close (the G is an 18). You can buy those & single 17s to swap out the G.

P.S. I think we arrived at this guage in a similar way as I put a set of 11-49 on a Les Paul, but wasn’t man enough to bend in pitch so I went back down a thou on the plain strings.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m with the OP & really like 10-13-17-28-38-49 on a Gibson scale. IME the wound strings on a 10-52 are too overpowering & often bind in the nut.

I think we arrived at this guage in a similar way as I put a set of 11-49 on a Les Paul but wasn’t man enough to bend in pitch so I went back down a thou on the plain strings.
I'll be ordering from Curt Mangan but it looks like the gauges will be 10, 13, 17, 28, 38, 50. The nut on my guitar will need to be cut. I'm waiting on a set of Rutters compensated saddles to come. As soon as I get them off to Folkway my guitar goes.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I love my 8-38 set. I made a 4-5 fret bend on my low E tonight. And i can push my G up for a 6 fret bend when i want to.

·
Registered
14,966 Posts
On electric I have used some different gauges--and I use different gauges for different guitars--based on what I mostly use the guitar for and what works on that one.
I have 9-42, 10-46, 10-52 & 11-50 (Last one with a wound G)

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
I’m with the OP & really like 10-13-17-28-38-49 on a Gibson scale.

IME the wound strings on a 10-52 are overpowering & tend to bind in the nut.
Then get your nut slotted for the strings you put on :p. I was running 11-54 for a while (25") but went back to old faithful. I'll use 12-60 for B standard. I was told to pick like you mean it in 2007 and haven't really stopped since, so I really appreciate the thicker 5th and 6th strings. I think I've played a balanced set of strings twice in my life.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried the Gilmour 10.5 set today. It could work but I found the 30, 40, 50 a bit unbalanced with the top strings. I think I'm going to stick to D'addario 11-49 for now and just get used to the G string being a bit stiffer. Thats really the only string thats a slight issue and I think easy to over come. Once I get my guitar set up professionally with those gauges I'll be able to judge better how its going to work. I think once a proper set up is done its going to be fine. The grooves of the nut are not cut deep enough for this gauge so the strings are a bit high at the top of the fretboard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts