The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I cannot find what the Tele that I want already built, new or used, then I will build it myself.

There are a couple of places in the U.S. that sell/can build a body for me, but I have baulked a couple of times at the prices, plus I have been dinged on many occasions by the duty charged on goods I have bought in the U.S. (sometimes 250% more than the purchase price).

Does anyone have any experience with, and ideas about, how to import a guitar body from the U.S. without potentially incurring such high fees?

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
There is no foolproof way. Avoid couriers like Fedex, UPS and DHL. USPS priority will most likely get dinged as well. Ask for USPS first class or lower....

Rent a US mailbox and use a forwarding service, or drive to the mailbox and claim it yourself (or not) at the border

Better still, buy the body from a Canadian source.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
There is no foolproof way. Avoid couriers like Fedex, UPS and DHL. USPS priority will most likely get dinged as well. Ask for USPS first class or lower....

Rent a US mailbox and use a forwarding service, or drive to the mailbox and claim it yourself (or not) at the border

Like me :)

Nathan Nieman (@nniemanconstruction) • Instagram photos and videos

[email protected]

There is a few great necks for sale in the guitar parts section of the forum.

Nathan

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks, knight_yyz.

I try to avoid those couriers all the time - particularly UPS - but it is very difficult to get people who use those couriers to change from doing so.

Yes, I would prefer to buy Canadian if I could get what I wanted, but not possible for this build.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: nnieman

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
There are at least 10 people that I know of building guitars on this site. You could post a request and see who responds.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Guitar parts:
Solo music in Mississauga
Next gen guitars in Ottawa
George Heinl in Toronto
Japarts (in bc)

Pickup winders in Ontario:
Pickup wizard
Mjs
McNelly

Vineham (East coast)
Reilander (In bc)

With the crappy dollar and exchange rate you can get custom wound pickups for less than a set of Seymour Duncans.

Nathan

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guitar parts:
Solo music in Mississauga
Next gen guitars in Ottawa
George Heinl in Toronto
Japarts (in bc)

Pickup winders in Ontario:
Pickup wizard
Vineham
Mjs
McNelly

Reilander (In bc)

With the crappy dollar and exchange rate you can get custom wound pickups for less than a set of Seymour Duncans.

Nathan
Hey Nathan,
Thanks very much for this - truly above and beyond the call of duty.

I will investigate this further.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I just ordered my third guitar kit from Precision Guitar Kits (PGK)in Vancouver. Customize them how you want. They will build you LP, S and T style guitars or you can order their ready to ship kits.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
If I cannot find what the Tele that I want already built, new or used, then I will build it myself.

There are a couple of places in the U.S. that sell/can build a body for me, but I have baulked a couple of times at the prices, plus I have been dinged on many occasions by the duty charged on goods I have bought in the U.S. (sometimes 250% more than the purchase price).

Does anyone have any experience with, and ideas about, how to import a guitar body from the U.S. without potentially incurring such high fees?
250% has to be exaggeration. I've never had more than like 40.

If the item is made in USA then there should be NO DUTY. There can be however 1) Canadian tax (GST/HST dep on your prov) but it's exempt if value is <C$90, which is a BS low threshold - they were talking about raising it... you can also break up orders to keep individual packages under the threshold but then the shipping can kill it), and 2) a brokerage fee for the shipper to do the paperwork for that/ duty by country of origin. USPS got sued by other carriers for that 'unfair market advantage' of not charging a fee, so lately USPS has been doing a bit more, but it was a pyrrhic victory because the private carriers were exposed as profiting off these fees which were sometimes exorbitant so they have been forced to be more reasonable as part of the deal and to compete with USPS (flat rate, so easily absorbed in a large order), but as mentioned above basic USPS is still the best EXCEPT that some bigger retailers have partnered with e.g. UPS, to offer -all-in pre calculated shipping/tax/duty 'no surprise fees' type service (see RedCo and TubeDepot/some of the other larger Amp parts suppliers). Kinda like ebay's Global Shipping program except none of the shitty parts of that 'service' (that is a thread all unto itself).

For stuff made in Asia (hardware) buy direct (and ship reg post) to save on duties - I don't know why that works, and maybe it's just me and my small $$ parts orders from China/Thailand, but when I order stuff from Redco in the US they go item by item and duty it up (maybe due to diff source countries, the stuff I get from Redco that isn't MIUSA is made in Korea/Vietnam etc). Ordering from China is great due to their subsidised mail system so shipping is dirt cheap and ordering a small $5 part is totally feasible cuz if not free ship from seller then only like $1.50 unless that $5 part is stupid big/heavy and no tax/duty since <90.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
250% has to be exaggeration. I've never had more than like 40.

If the item is made in USA then there should be NO DUTY. There can be however 1) Canadian tax (GST/HST dep on your prov) but it's exempt if value is <C$90, which is a BS low threshold - they were talking about raising it... you can also break up orders to keep individual packages under the threshold but then the shipping can kill it), and 2) a brokerage fee for the shipper to do the paperwork for that/ duty by country of origin. USPS got sued by other carriers for that 'unfair market advantage' of not charging a fee, so lately USPS has been doing a bit more, but it was a pyrrhic victory because the private carriers were exposed as profiting off these fees which were sometimes exorbitant so they have been forced to be more reasonable as part of the deal and to compete with USPS (flat rate, so easily absorbed in a large order), but as mentioned above basic USPS is still the best EXCEPT that some bigger retailers have partnered with e.g. UPS, to offer -all-in pre calculated shipping/tax/duty 'no surprise fees' type service (see RedCo and TubeDepot/some of the other larger Amp parts suppliers). Kinda like ebay's Global Shipping program except none of the shitty parts of that 'service' (that is a thread all unto itself).

For stuff made in Asia (hardware) buy direct (and ship reg post) to save on duties - I don't know why that works, and maybe it's just me and my small $$ parts orders from China/Thailand, but when I order stuff from Redco in the US they go item by item and duty it up (maybe due to diff source countries, the stuff I get from Redco that isn't MIUSA is made in Korea/Vietnam etc). Ordering from China is great due to their subsidised mail system so shipping is dirt cheap and ordering a small $5 part is totally feasible cuz if not free ship from seller then only like $1.50 unless that $5 part is stupid big/heavy and no tax/duty since <90.
Did you pull that 90$ figure out of thing air? It is incorrect. The threshold is 20 bucks CDN or 60 bucks as a gift.

Any item mailed to Canada may be subject to the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and/or duty. Unless specifically exempted, you must pay the 5% GST on items you import into Canada by mail. The CBSA calculates any duties owing based on the value of the goods in Canadian funds. The duty rates vary according to the type of goods you are importing and the country from which they came or were made in. Depending on the goods or their value, some other taxes may apply, such as excise duty or excise tax on luxury items.You do not have to pay the GST on the following goods that are imported into Canada by mail:

• goods worth CAN$20 or less; and
  • gifts from family members or friends who live abroad when the worth is CAN$60 or less.
I don;t see anything mentioning 90 bucks

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
that was to be the new limit under the new nafta ( which hasn't been officially signed yet by the US )

so until it is signed , the old 20 bucks stays.
BTW , motorcycle helmets are deemed " wearing apparel" ( hats) and not under "safety equipment" .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.