The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I saw this clip and thought, so many people have flipped the control plates around on their Teles, this is a reasonable alternative to that.

That concept of continuous improvement is also evident in the design of various bridges and other components of electric guitars.

I like the improvements Gotoh has made to the original Floyd Rose design (nicer saddles, a nylon bushing in the arm hole allowing you to perfectly set the desired tension, et cetera).

Adding locking mechanisms to tuners is another.

I'm wondering which of the tweaks and improvements to these basic designs you think are the most helpful.

Or, would you have preferred that they left things the way they were in the good old days?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I approve! And would love to try that angled switch.

Brad of Shyboy & Tex has his tele bridges made with a rounded edge where your palm sits. It's nice to not have the bridge corner digging into your hand.

·
Premium Member
8,223 Posts
so many people have flipped the control plates around on their Teles, this is a reasonable alternative to that.
I would like to see volume a bit closer to the tone, away from the switch.
There's room to do that.

·
Premium Member
8,223 Posts
With the angled switch, there's more of a gap between the switch and the V knob.
Which is cool, but with the V away from the switch, the angled wouldn't be necessary?
A lot easier to drill a hole than to cut a slot.

Reactions: Milkman

·
Registered
24,359 Posts
I've said it before and will say it again: nobody switches to the bridge pickup to achieve a "dull" sound. So why on earth do guitars with separate controls for neck and bridge pickups use the SAME cap value for the neck and bridge pickups? It makes absolutely no sense. You would think that in the almost 70 years they've had to figure it out, Gibson and others would have given the bridge pickup Tone control a different rolloff.

·
Premium Member
16,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which is cool, but with the V away from the switch, the angled wouldn't be necessary?
A lot easier to drill a hole than to cut a slot.
You're probably right. With a bigger gap between the switch and V knob, maybe the angle wouldn't add any advantage.

Some guys bend the switch up a bit too.

But if I was to go for the angle and the gap, I wouldn't have to cut a slot, just send money to the guy who has them.

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
With my Bigsby-equipped Tele, I had the same issue as they guy in the video (hard to find the switch in a rush) - especially so because the vibe arm can be in the way. So I ordered one of those Rockrabbit control plates. It works great, exactly as advertised. Kinda wish I bought one for each Tele, but at about $40 landed, I decided to go OAAT. The other Tele has a 4 way switch and top hat, no Bigsby, so it doesn't have nearly the problem the 1st Tele did.

As for your question, I see lots of little mods, like the Bigsby spoiler or the Vibramate stuff. You can still have your old school but with a bit more convenience.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I wish Fender would jump on board with offereing stainless steel frets.

Edit:

After watching the video, I can't say I've ever had any issues with the design of a Tele pickup selector, and I've gigged more with Teles than Strats (I like both).

I do prefer Tele style knobs over Strat style though as they're easier to adjust on the fly.

·
Premium Member
16,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish Fender would jump on board with offereing stainless steel frets.

Edit:

After watching the video, I can't say I've ever had any issues with the design of a Tele pickup selector, and I've gigged more with Teles than Strats (I like both).

I do prefer Tele style knobs over Strat style though as they're easier to adjust on the fly.
I think they would have to offer that as an option and keep the normal fretwire available.

There are some who claim to be able to hear a difference in tone between SST and whatever the normal plated steel they use and don't really care for it.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I think they would have to offer that as an option and keep the normal fretwire available.

There are some who claim to be able to hear a difference in tone between SST and whatever the normal plated steel they use and don't really care for it.
Very true, but to not offer it all and be vocally against offering stainless steel frets I think is being a bit backwards, even for Fender. Times have changed and they should offer it as an upcharge if the customer wants it.

Below is an excellent video comparison of nickle vs stainless steel frets.

·
Premium Member
16,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very true, but to not offer it all and be vocally against offering stainless steel frets I think is being a bit backwards, even for Fender. Times have changed and they should offer it as an upcharge if the customer wants it.

Below is an excellent video comparison of nickle vs stainless steel frets.

I like the idea of stainless steel frets a lot. They should dramatically reduce the need for refrets.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I like the idea of stainless steel frets a lot. They should dramatically reduce the need for refrets.
Yeah

I don't consider myself an aggressive player, but I tend to be hard on frets. I like the idea of them being one less thing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
When's the last time you had a refret?

·
Registered
EJ Strat, Ibanez AZ, '62 Thinskin Tele, EBMM Silhouette Special, Carvin Holdsworth HF2
211 Posts
Two vintage-looking mods that I like:

Staggered heights for tuning heads. It eliminates the need for string trees.

Compensated tele saddles. Concept is not new, but I do like these ones. They don't look weird. I think they're Gotoh?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts