The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A great explanation of different tonewoods from one of the pre-eminent builders on the planet. He gets into some interesting details on why he uses what he uses, and he uses a large variety and combination of woods in his builds. I love his brogue as much as I love the sound of his guitars.

·
Premium Member
12,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, there are certainly others that use some of the combinations he uses. I doubt there is anyone who uses the huge variety of woods and combinations that he does. I've played a Lowden walnut guitar and it was very nice. Not my favorite, but very nice.

And as the old TV ad says: "But wait, there's more.......". Here he gets into how he tones out components as part of his builds.

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Very entertaining. Thanks.

The woodstove was a major distraction for me. Having ruined an electric, a bass and an acoustic in a 17x22 foot log cabin with a similar wood heater. If you burn wood, keep them in a case with a humidifier.

Thanks again. Loved the second part where he thumped the panels.

·
Premium Member
12,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Part III, where we finally get to hear some playing - from a master (Thomas Leeb).

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Gibson J-15 is Spruce/Walnut.

Gibson.com: Gibson J-15
Just thought I'd throw in that I tried the J-15 at L&M a while ago. The feel and sound blew away the much more expensive ($3000 +) ones from the Gibson line that I tried out, as well as the Taylors and Martins. Also tried out a used Larivee that was around the same price point. Just as nice. For me anyways.

·
Premium Member
12,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should try 125 year old Cuban mahogany or Belize sinker mahogany, under water for 6 or 7 decades. The sound may blow your mind. So may the price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts