The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wish I had enough sense way back when to keep some of my guitars. Wish I could buy them all back :( . Here are a few that I sold - 1974 Gibson LP gold top; 1980 Gibson Flying V; 1972 Ovation Breadwinner; 1973 Ovation Deacon; 1980 JV series strat; 1964 Guild Starfire 111.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,989 Posts
I've owned a lot of high-end and unique basses since the mid-80's that I wish I had kept. Perhaps the neverending GAS may have been avoided if I had kept some of them.

I won't bore you with the specifics as they are basses. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,980 Posts
Sometimes I regret selling that Oracle to Scott, but in reality, you never sell the guitars that you really love, so no regrets because there was always something better in the wings...............
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,980 Posts
I know guys who have a few hundred guitars. EVH has about 500, Gene Simmons has about 300. When you have a house as big as these guys, maybe thats not alot, but I dont think I'd have the room to have every guitar I've ever owned, and besides, alot of what I owned in the past sucked, and thats why theyre gone. I may have liked it back then, but if I picked it up now I'd say, "Ewww!"..................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
james on bass said:
I've owned a lot of high-end and unique basses since the mid-80's that I wish I had kept. Perhaps the neverending GAS may have been avoided if I had kept some of them.

I won't bore you with the specifics as they are basses. ;)
Basses are guitars too :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,138 Posts
I don't place any sentimental value on guitars. When they wear out I replace them.

There was one guitar that I traded while out on the road that I don't think I fully appreciated. It was a tobacco sunburst 77 Les Paul Deluxe. I'd like to have that one back, but there are lots like it out there.


To me guitars are tools. They have no intrinsic value, particularly if I don't use them regularly. If someone gave me a 59 Strat, I'd sell it and buy several other items.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,823 Posts
I see them as works of art myself. They have so many different attributes. Playing them is of course a pleasure. I can understand a working musicians views would not be the same as a collector. I am into the designs, workmanship. In terms of what I play, it's essentially my Heritage Gary Moore. I am a pure LP man, thats why I end up selling everything else eventually. But as a collector, these above are a few I wish I had kept.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Milkman said:
To me guitars are tools. They have no intrinsic value, particularly if I don't use them regularly.
I respect your point of view. Myself, I try not to attach any sentiment to my guitars, but its sure nice to have a few lying around, especially if you want to play something with a different tonal quality, or feel. I have 5 strats (not bragging :eek: ) but I'd never get rid of any of them. Sure would like to have a couple of LP's and a tele though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,138 Posts
Beatles said:
I respect your point of view. Myself, I try not to attach any sentiment to my guitars, but its sure nice to have a few lying around, especially if you want to play something with a different tonal quality, or feel. I have 5 strats (not bragging :eek: ) but I'd never get rid of any of them. Sure would like to have a couple of LP's and a tele though.
At any given time I keep 3 to 5 electric guitars stage ready. I'm really not a collector though. I drag way too many instruments to the shows anyway. I'm not knocking the folks who amass rooms full of guitars. I admire a well made guitar. I even like the way they smell when I open the case.

I get instruments for specific applications and instead of having four or five guitars which are very similar I tend to get what I need.
 
1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top