The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just reading this article and it reminded me of several years ago when I played in a band where our 45 year old singer was dating a 20 year old girl. Its not so much that the girl was 25 years younger but that physically her body looked like that of an 11 year old. I remember when our drummer had a party in his backyard and he brought his girlfriend and 13 year old daughter and the daughter looked much older than the 20 year old.
I kind of thought to my self "if that girls physical appearance turns you on, does that mean you have pedophile tendencies"? I remember one club we played and they were hanging all over each other and I over heard other patrons commenting negatively on the appearance. It definitely made me uncomfortable, although I said nothing about it.
The girls parents were very against the relationship and called him a pedophile. Technically he wasn't due to her age but..I had to wonder how he could be attracted to that.
Now the girl in the article has a disability that makes here appear like a child. I don't think the lead singers girl friend had a disability, just very small and looked like a minor. I'm probably wrong to think like I do but I just can't imagine being attracted to a girl (If I were in my 20's. 30's, etc) that looks like she's 11. I didn't like being in the band with the guy and having people in the club pointing and talking, probably wondering if he was a pedophile.

· Registered
3,058 Posts
While I understand your position I also have to wonder why it might be any of your business. Not that I approve of the idea that a much older man is dating someone so much younger but at the same time I am not dating her so.

· Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I can confidently say that, if I were in the same situation the OP found themselves in, it would leave me feeling quite uncomfortable...regardless of whether that relationship was "any of my business" or not.

· Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I understand your position I also have to wonder why it might be any of your business. Not that I approve of the idea that a much older man is dating someone so much younger but at the same time I am not dating her so.
It really had nothing to do with the age gap. More the appearance of a 45 year old bearded man that looked older than his 45 years and a 20 year old girl that in appearance looked like she was 11. I'm on stage with this guy and people are pointing and talking. I have no idea what was going on in the mind of those witnessing this but I can imagine and this is what made me feel uncomfortable.
I tried to reason it in mind many times. The girl is technically 20. But if you didn't know that you'd swear she's no more than 11. Does that make the guy romantically involved a potential pedophile, that he'd be turned on by someone appearing in all physical ways, a child? If so I don't want to be associated with this guy. I do admit, for other reasons I didn't like the guy very much, so maybe that influenced more hard feelings.

· Premium Member
29,735 Posts
Skim through this site. People become friends when they share something in common. And people become closer than "just friends" when they share a great deal in common. A lot of what people share in common are cultural signposts, events, experiences, attitudes, beliefs, preferences, stemming from their shared experiences. When people are far apart in age, you have to wonder just what their shared experiences are. They can certainly create shared experiences. and parenthood can be one of them. But I'm always reminded of Donald Fagen singing "Hey nineteen, that's 'Retha Franklin. (She don't remember the Queen of Soul)."

· Registered
414 Posts
Was just reading this article and it reminded me of several years ago when I played in a band where our 45 year old singer was dating a 20 year old girl. Its not so much that the girl was 25 years younger but that physically her body looked like that of an 11 year old. I remember when our drummer had a party in his backyard and he brought his girlfriend and 13 year old daughter and the daughter looked much older than the 20 year old.
I kind of thought to my self "if that girls physical appearance turns you on, does that mean you have pedophile tendencies"? I remember one club we played and they were hanging all over each other and I over heard other patrons commenting negatively on the appearance. It definitely made me uncomfortable, although I said nothing about it.
The girls parents were very against the relationship and called him a pedophile. Technically he wasn't due to her age but..I had to wonder how he could be attracted to that.
Now the girl in the article has a disability that makes here appear like a child. I don't think the lead singers girl friend had a disability, just very small and looked like a minor. I'm probably wrong to think like I do but I just can't imagine being attracted to a girl (If I were in my 20's. 30's, etc) that looks like she's 11. I didn't like being in the band with the guy and having people in the club pointing and talking, probably wondering if he was a pedophile.

I guess to each their own, however, I did see a snippet of the Shauna-Rae show where she was driving with her new man ... some twenty something dude and I thought that if I were him driving with that little girl I would 100% feel like a Certified Child-Molester, legal or not I just couldn't live with myself and especially live with what people were thinking of me LOL,

· Premium Member
1,306 Posts
When I was about 20, i used to race VWs and Audis. We'd go to this one junk parts yard for stuff, and we noticed the employees were girls who were all young, like 13. We knew the owner, who was pretty creepy and about 50yrs old. My buddy cracked a joke one day, forget what he said exactly but something along the lines of child labour. The owner then said "My girlfriend is in college. Can you guess which one's my girl, and which one's im just f*****g?" In front of a room full of people.
So my point is, In that situation, the guy didnt seem to care whether the girl was of age or not, so long as she looked young. We never went back, and i still see that guy around at track days.

· Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Perhaps they were just in love - he had no control over what the package was going to look like.

· Premium Member
976 Posts
I dated a girl 20 years younger than me. 23 and 43, she hunted me down. She was beautiful and intelligent, I did leave her. Some people judged us with their looks, others did not. It was one of the most intense relationships I was ever in, in a good way, but I could not take the age gap and felt in time she would be much better off without me. I don't have a problem with age gaps with adults, but I could not date a lady that looked like a kid. None of my business what others can or cant do in the name of love, and within the boundaries of the law.

· Registered
1,941 Posts

I'm 43 and a normal 20 year old looks like a child to me. Gross. As I get older the age of the women I find attractive also gets older. If I were ever single I'm not sure I could see myself dating anyone under 30.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts