The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 21 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well sometimes its just best to quit on a forum that has no moderators to eliminate spam shite. For years I was part of the Washburn forum but since they were bought by our Canadian Jam industries it seems they do not understand the importance of having a active forum and also of keeping those with knowledge of their instruments for me well I have looked and studied and even bought many pre- war guitars and have tried to share that knowledge with folks looking for information.
There are no moderators left there so every time you get a notice of a new post it turns up as nothing but spam and that can get very annoying to the few left and one of the most knowledgeable folks in the world ( Jim Smith Sr. ) well nobody knows more about Washburn guitars then him and even he has gotten to that point of frustration and once he is gone from there well then its just guessing as to any info given. Jim owns just about every guitar made since the Washburn label was bought back in 1973 hell he even knows more then Washburn reps ( mind you only 1 left from what I understand ) so soon there will be no one person left to share that info.
Mind you I am grateful for them as I was informed of this forum and while there have been ups and downs here at times I have found that its at least one of the very best because even when we don't agree with each other we always have each others back and if we have info to share we do so freely.
Well that's my morning bitch and here is hoping someone from that company ( Jam ) see's this and gets their shite together and fix the damn problem of not spending any money to make it secure from asshole spammers.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I've had to deal with Jam a couple of times (no choice, sole Canadian distributor, standard Canadian anti-competitive setup). Was not impressed, wouldn't voluntarily deal with them. OP's experience with something they touched is not a surprise.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
i left one of the fender forums because it just got sooo annoying. a few others where i have only lasted a few days, or maybe i a few where i am a member but rarely participate.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have been keeping a forum alive for more than a year now, while only one other member there regularly throw an eye. The others supposedly went on facebook, but they are not there.

I guess all forums are going down...
I feel owners just get ads money without concern about valued content.
Sad !

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I found the AGF to be really tedious and frequently annoying so I stopped posting there years ago. Too many ass-hurt ninnies there pearl clutching over their bridge pins and which nail polish to use.

If you have a tech question you can usually get it answered here as well as it would be answered anywhere else. In addition the people here are decent and seem to get along pretty good for the most part and the place sort of regulates itself insofar as anyone acting like a jackass gets an earful from other members responding to their posts. So it seems to be working OK to me.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
AGF has a certain quality I don't always enjoy. I wish folks would search topics and read the discussions before starting threads about the same old things. I only post a couple of times a week on average.

I joined AGF 27/12/2001 but didn't post until 16/10/2013, nor did I lurk. Ends up I knew some folks there, but took 12 years to discover the fact.

The original Acoustic Guitar Magazine Forum was pretty good but just disappeared without notice (I think) and I had tons of content there.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I used to hang at the Matsumoku.org forum and had a blast there, we were all friends there... I eventually took a break for 6 years … no more buying instruments or going on the forum to concentrate on other parts of my life... went back and noticed the forum died... Most users migrated over to Facebook on all type of different groups...

Miss that group... courteous and helpful members all around...

·
Registered
525 Posts
The original Seagull forum was good until it was spammed out (darnRussians) Next was Seagull Spoken Here! When it was on the Acoustic Guitar magazine site and moderated by Judd it was great. AGM got out of forums and the Seagull site was just too hard to navigate. I got sick of the AGF and I took a break. Far too many requests for string recommendations and too snooty with a lot of wood sniffers. I'll probably go back someday but not yet.

·
Mad Strappier
531 Posts
Bear in mind there are two AGFs.

Acoustic Guitar Forum (never been)

A Guitar Forum (used to be known as the Agile Guitar Forum, but a didn't want to limit the community, so it underwent a bit of a name change a couple years ago)
Longtime member in reasonably good standing - and one of the best/friendliest guitar communities

I am a member of a rather embarrassing number of guitar forums, but not all of them. Gee I wonder how many there are?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I've been kicked off of The Gear Page 4 times now. It was kind of a hobby at one point. The is also a certain Fender Forum that got very ridiculous so I quit...er, got kicked out of.
I don't know how I have lasted so long here.
Talkbass used to be great, now its ok but mostly the same threads over and over and over again.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
I rarely visit The Gear Page because they're so touchy about cussing and so self-righteous about the clique. They've tossed me for less than their everyday bullshit. Used to follow the Telecaster forum but there wasn't enough acoustic content for me.

In the early forums days you'd see folks like Frank Ford and Rick Turner, but not so much anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
I've never left any forums out of spite. I've left because they lost critical mass and were down to one or two useless posts a day. Or, because the forum wasn't of use to me anymore (no longer had the vehicle, no longer had brand the forum focused on, etc).

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
I was pretty active on an F1 forum a couple of decades ago. It peaked around the era of 'the Two Austrias', when lots of Schumacher fans left (the heat was pretty high on them). Five years later, there was probably only a dozen or so members when I left. But I left largely because F1 changed its focus and lost me, not because the forum was a shadow of its former self. I looked for it a year later and it was long gone.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I was on a American guitar forum and the BS was just too much. I got kicked off toute suite because of what I said about Trump. Actually there were Trump supporters on this forum and they hated me. Oh well, I really don’t give a shit.

I think I will join the Parker Guitar forum. I am going to check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum-what a nasty bunch-firstly they got rid of the founder Steve Stallings-until some sort of agreement was reached. Secondly they have strange rules for posting for sale items. If you delete your ad and replace it a day later because you made changes-you get a stern warning. If you do it twice,they suspend you for 30 days. I had forgotten about this nonsense about 3 years later I posted, deleted,reposted and I got banned for life.

I no longer own a Martin so I never visit there, however it is a favourite for the bluegrass fascists.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I gave up MLP after a few years and over 20G posts. Got boring after a few guys left.
Or because your the only female on board the guys became hostile and belligerent, would burn me at the stake at any given chance. The guys couldn’t stand that I was very tenacious, persistent and would not tolerate any sexist stuff. I stuck up for myself and my beliefs. After a while I just said, fuck it. Not worth the effort being there. Got kicked out anyhow!

GC is a different kettle of fish. I am an equal on this forum and still the only female. everything is good. There are few who wouldn’t agree but they are insignificant anyways.

1 - 21 of 105 Posts