The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Estaban acoustic that looks really cool, but Im having trouble bonding with it. It doesnt sound as good as I thought it would (compared to the sound on theTV comercials). And it just doesnt have the same feel as any of my 5 Martins, and Galaghers. Im thinking perhaps it might need a good set up by Estaban himself. But the tuner that it came with is awsome, so is the "Learn to play guitar like Estaban in one week" book. Its a really cool shiney black finish, and I really want to like it. Cause I want to be cool like Estaban...any one have the same experience??

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted this queston over at the Estaban forum, and the response I got was the tone problem could be due to the high gloss limited edition black finish. I was thinking perhaps I could just sand it down to help improve the tone. I might try that tonight.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
What type of wood, or is it laminate (another word for plywood). If it's the wood, there's nothing you can really do about the tone.

P.S. If you posted this on the The Gear Page forum in the U.S. They'd have gone after you like sharks in a feeding frenzy. They have this 'thing' about Estaban.

C

·
0 Posts
"It doesnt sound as good as I thought it would"
What do you expect for a 12 buck guitar?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
ClintonHammond said:
"It doesnt sound as good as I thought it would"
What do you expect for a 12 buck guitar?

1. instant fame and fortune, not to mention hot babes.

2. world domination.

3. that new guitar smell.

-dh

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thanks for all the helpfull responses, well exept for the few PM's from the guy's who threatened to come over and shove that guitar up my....... I sanded off the finish, and I must say it really "Opened" up the tone. It was a little tricky as the glue from the mac tac kept clogging up the sand paper, but Wow now it has that sound I was hoping for. Sort of like those Rain Song guitars!!!! It still doesnt play very good though. Need to try a new bridge and nut, but I now have some hope. Should I try bone or ceramic, or perhaps the new cylindrical diamachron? Any advice?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Big White Tele said:
Need to try a new bridge and nut, but I now have some hope. Should I try bone or ceramic, or perhaps the new cylindrical diamachron? Any advice?
BWT,
I was thinking, if you could find an old 1970's-era Cordoba in a wrecker's yard, you could cut a bit of Corinthian leather from the car seats and make a really nice nut and saddle from that. It would sort of add to the whole Latin mystique!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Corinthian Leather? Really? Wouldnt that be too soft? But thats a good ides for a strap, or maybe a seat belt for a strap. Hey cool.........Im going to the wreckers..

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
ClintonHammond said:
So, now that you've struck out, David H, what's your plan?LOL

...never surrender! the world will be mine. all i need is an esteban guitar and a moustache.

but first i gotta have some milk and cookies and a nice nap.

-dh

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Searched the net for the "Townsend Mod", no luck, starting to think your pulling my leg, But I found a Clarennce White mod which is to enlarge the sound hole. So I got my dads Jigsaw, and it was going real good untill I hit the strings.. Oh well, they needed changin anyways. I got to say that I think making the sound hole bigger really made a difference. Now the guitar is much brighter and louder and not so dead. Im getting pretty happy. Oh by the way Gillian girl, I couldnt find a Cordoba, closest thing in the yard was a K Car.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts