The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a fair price for a mint condition 2012 Gibson 1963 es-335 VOS custom shop in Historic burst?

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
If you go by what people try to get on Reverb, $6k maybe?
Realistic price, $4k. I think they were under that when new.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Not to muddy the waters but...didn't most of the 2012 CS instruments have the much maligned laminated fretboard? I've seen that little detail impact the ability to resell (and hence resale value) on more than one 2012 model. I would guess the $4K applies to 2013 and newer instruments but I have no data to back that up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not to muddy the waters but...didn't most of the 2012 CS instruments have the much maligned laminated fretboard? I've seen that little detail impact the ability to resell (and hence resale value) on more than one 2012 model. I would guess the $4K applies to 2013 and newer instruments but I have no data to back that up.
Interesting - will check that out

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I know the guitar you are talking about, given the case and a few other factors I do not think that that guitar is from 2012. Double-check the serial number to find out the date but the laminate fretboard does impact resale value greatly it seems, it would also be two-pieces if it is from 2012 and I am remembering correctly. I think somewhere around $4K (ideally $100 or so below) would be fair for that specific one. It seems like Memphis specific year reissue ES-style guitars sell between $3500 and $4000 given what has come and gone on this forum unless they are a limited run or something like that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the guitar you are talking about, given the case and a few other factors I do not think that that guitar is from 2012. Double-check the serial number to find out the date but the laminate fretboard does impact resale value greatly it seems, it would also be two-pieces if it is from 2012 and I am remembering correctly. I think somewhere around $4K (ideally $100 or so below) would be fair for that specific one. It seems like Memphis specific year reissue ES-style guitars sell between $3500 and $4000 given what has come and gone on this forum unless they are a limited run or something like that.
Thank you - serial is 17012 which does not really make sense to me when I look up on the Gibson website (would it make it a 2011?)

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Actually just called Gibson - guy said that these guitars' serial didnt really follow a pattern he found records of it made and shipped in 2013.
Oh interesting, I guess that way the serial numbers work with the R series does not apply to the Memphis reissues. I guess that makes sense. 2013 is a good year though, back to the 1-piece non-laminated fretboard.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
I seem to recall reading on here that the Memphis labelling and VOS designation for those models began in 2013...so all of this makes more sense now. I believe the one you've referenced here may be the one I saw with a $4900 ask price. Considering a newer custom colour Memphis 345 sold here a few days ago for $3700, the ask on that 335 does not seem in step with the market.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
There is no such thing as a good year or a bad year. That is a myth.
Depends. Maybe not with regard to overall build quality, but there's no doubt 2013 is a better year than 2012 if you want to avoid any question about lam boards.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
There is no such thing as a good year or a bad year. That is a myth.
I don’t agree, I like the reissues for their historical accuracy. While I wouldn’t be opposed necessarily to owning a 2012 Gibson because the 2-piece fretboard doesn’t really matter ultimately, I would still prefer a 1-piece fretboard non-2012 model for the historical accuracy. That being said there are great guitars from every year, but as time has gone on the Custom Shop has really stepped up their game.

·
Registered
9,961 Posts
Depends. Maybe not with regard to overall build quality, but there's no doubt 2013 is a better year than 2012 if you wanted to avoid any question about lam boards.

With regards to specs yes. But the claim that there are good years or bad years, or that there is a good wood year/era, are complete myths that defy common sense.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
With regards to specs yes. But the claim that there are good years or bad years, or that there is a good wood year/era, are complete myths that defy common sense.
Yes it is all subjective, but that’s not what I meant by good year vs bad year. I’m talking specifically specs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I seem to recall reading on here that the Memphis labelling and VOS designation for those models began in 2013...so all of this makes more sense now. I believe the one you've referenced here may be the one I saw with a $4900 ask price. Considering a newer custom colour Memphis 345 sold here a few days ago for $3700, the ask on that 335 does not seem in step with the market.
Agreed - but also given the amount of buzz and how many people saying they wish they had bought it Id venture a guess that it could have fetched more. Im also not a fan of crazy colors for 335s

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Agreed - but also given the amount of buzz and how many people saying they wish they had bought it Id venture a guess that it could have fetched more. Im also not a fan of crazy colors for 335s
Considering how quickly that 345 sold and the post-sale buzz, it was almost certainly "underpriced". It does serve as an example of what can be found however...versus an arguably "lesser" model for considerably more money. If nothing else, it serves as a point for further negotiation on something you are a fan of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Considering how quickly that 345 sold and the post-sale buzz, it was almost certainly "underpriced". It does serve as an example of what can be found however...versus an arguably "lesser" model for considerably more money. If nothing else, it serves as a point for further negotiation on something you are a fan of.
Yes - Its all relative - Im more of a fan of these more traditional burst maybe im alone lol

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Nashville 335s are worth $2,900 - $3,200 US (pre-COVID), Memphis a few hundred less.

I find the whole 2012 laminated fretboard devalues the guitar is stupid when we're talking about a guitar where the whole thing is laminated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts