The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there is any differences between the current EJ and the early 2000's? Looking at an 06' in candy apple red right now but unsure of the price. The one I am looking at was listed for $1,900 in unplayed condition with the proper case and all the goodies. Not many around to compare it to though, a few on reverb but they have been listed for months at the same price. The current EJ is 2,500 + tax.

Anyone have a good source for looking up previous model specs? Specifically wondering about the pickups in this, I know he has a sig set but didn't they come out fairly recently?

This is not the exact one I am looking at but its the same.
Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster Candy Apple Red

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I had a very early one, maybe 08. Good guitar, nice nitro finish, 12 radius, 6105 frets, no string tree, quartered neck, quite light. No back plate, pickups were ej spec singles from the start, not sure if they are the same as the current sig set. I remember really liking the pickups.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a very early one, maybe 08. Good guitar, nice nitro finish, 12 radius, 6105 frets, no string tree, quartered neck, quite light. No back plate, pickups were ej spec singles from the start, not sure if they are the same as the current sig set. I remember really liking the pickups.
Does 1,900 seem inline with the current market? Worth 8-900 more than an am std or just paying for the EJ neck plate?

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Definitely leaps and bounds nicer than an American Standard, they’re more comparable to the Vintage RI series but with a 12” radius. I can’t really comment on the current market but I had and sold 2 for around $1500 (last one I sold was last summer).

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I have a 2006 EJ blonde strat. I really like its neck and middle pickups. bridge pickup is not for me. I do not know its exact specs but to me it sounds too thin with distortion. Believe me it is not just paying extra for the EJ neck plate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2006 EJ blonde strat. I really like its neck and middle pickups. bridge pickup is not for me. I do not know its exact specs but to me it sounds too thin with distortion. Believe me it is not just paying extra for the EJ neck plate.
Nice, is that a 339?

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I think I paid $1000 used for mine, back in the days of CAD at par, lower fender pricing etc. I think the new price was around 1600 or 1700 at the time.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
In terms of build quality, the EJ Strat sits somewhere between CS & AVRI models IMO. Personally, I think it's Fender's best non-CS Strat.

Reactions: Analogman

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
In terms of build quality, the EJ Strat sits somewhere between CS & AVRI models IMO. Personally, I think it's Fender's best non-CS Strat.
I agree with this post. As far as modern Fender offerings, the EJ is certainly among the top tier of Strats available today, and would certainly be one that I would have near the top of my list if I was wanting a new Fender made Strat. I've played several in the stores starting around 2007 and always enjoyed them; perhaps aside from the glossy neck finish. I recall the days when they could be had for $800-$1100 fairly easily... I miss CAD being at par :(

W.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Two weeks I bought a white 2006 that had spent it's entire life in it's case, still had the original strings. I paid $1700. I changed the strings, tweaked the truss rod and adjusted the intonation. It plays very well, the high E and B strings sound weak compared to the other strings and no amount of pickup tweaking seems to fix it. It's still a keeper.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Two weeks I bought a white 2006 that had spent it's entire life in it's case, still had the original strings. I paid $1700. I changed the strings, tweaked the truss rod and adjusted the intonation. It plays very well, the high E and B strings sound weak compared to the other strings and no amount of pickup tweaking seems to fix it. It's still a keeper.
Is that due to weak break angle across the nut? Comes without a string tree but have read that many install one afterwards, or put staggered tuners on so there is no irreversible modifications.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
nice, even the early ones? The one I was looking at had had a tree added.
Yes.

IIRC the neck pocket is also unpainted, as Eric thought that wood-on-wood would help resonance. I also got one for a very good price ~5 years ago but moved it as I couldn’t bond with the 12” radius (feels too flat on a Fender for me) & wasn’t crazy about the glossy neck finish.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I'm pretty sure they have always had staggered tuners. I think I should have cut the E and B long than I normally would on a Strat so that the string winds down to the bottom of the post. I have read that adding a string tree is fairly common but I'm trying to avoid doing that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts