The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that Equifax was hacked and that the info of Canadians was included in the hack. As such, it would be a good idea to check your credit report, credit card accounts, bank accounts, and whatever else to make sure that there has been no suspicious activity and that there are no identity theft issues.

An earlier version of the story linked below made it sound like many Canadians were also affected, but this updated version minimizes that and only mentions Canadians (and Brits) right at the end of the story. Despite that, I thought that the thread was worth posting as you can never be too careful.

Equifax breach exposes 143 million Americans to identity theft

Cybersecurity Incident & Important Consumer Information | Equifax

The fact that they knew about this and didn't report it for a few weeks seems scummy, but apparently that is standard practice in the US while investigations are underway. But the fact that some in senior management sold shares before the info became public knowledge, and Eqifax's share price dropped, is definitely scummy.

·
Premium Member
8,534 Posts
Only illegal if they knew of the hack. Coincidences do happen.

Dave, unless you haven't borrowed in the past 30 years, I assure you Equifax has your SSN.

L

·
0 Posts
Three Equifax executives insulated themselves from that downturn by selling shares
worth a combined $1.8 million just a few days after the company discovered the breach
on July 29, according to documents filed with securities regulators.

The sales, executed on August 1 and August 2, were made by: John Gamble, Equifax’s
chief financial officer; Rodolfo Ploder, Equifax’s president of workforce solutions;
and Joseph Loughran, Equifax’s president of U.S. information solutions. Bloomberg
News first reported the divestitures.

In a subsequent statement, Equifax said the three executives “had no knowledge that an
intrusion had occurred at the time they sold their shares.”

·
Super Moderator
15,722 Posts
Only illegal if they knew of the hack. Coincidences do happen.

Dave, unless you haven't borrowed in the past 30 years, I assure you Equifax has your SSN.
Surprisingly enough I haven't actually borrowed in that time period but I've certainly taken out a few credit cards in that time so I'm sure they'll have it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think it was customers of equifax that were hacked- so only if you bought services from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I subscribed to Equifax about 3 months ago...I received an odd email from them last week which I thought was a scam.

I purchased the service to protect against identify and credit theft and they get bloody hacked! Ha ha (on me!).

Thx for the heads up.

·
Registered
14,360 Posts
The impact to Canadians was minimal at best apparently--probably more so if you have done business in the US or a US based company.
At least that's what I've heard.
Still never a bad idea to keep an eye on things any way.

L

·
0 Posts
a snippet from the Toronto Sun

Equifax Canada is remaining largely mum, declining to provide details about how many Canadians were affected
or the data that was stolen. It said Friday it had no information to add to what its U.S. parent announced.

Cyber security expert Bob Hudyma said Equifax is being tight-lipped because it is concerned about lawsuits.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
The issue (and there are many) that is troubling is the Company's responsibility for timely disclosure of material events as a public company. I can understand a few days or maybe a couple weeks to fully assess the impact and if it will have an impact on its share price but 6 weeks is troubling to me. A company in the security business is slow at responding to a security breach(!).

I originally thought the officers sold shares prior to the disclosure of the hack but I now understand that it was after. it is a bit grey depending on the size of the company and how information flows through the company and ultimately, what their internal and blackout policies state or require on the disposal of shares but again, a security company that is slow at responding. Regulators are going to be having a field day.

I purchased a service to protect me against hacking and the provider gets hacked. To quote Alanis Morissette, "Isn't it ironic".

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
fuckers....the stock took a big hit from $146 down to 93. but looks like its stabilized. i was actually contemplating buying into it a few mths earlier...dodged a bullet!
If they make some real changes, it could be a bargain.....or it could be mired for years like other tainted stocks like Chipotle.

L

·
0 Posts
a snippet from the National Post

A person dressed as the Monopoly board game character Rich Uncle Pennybags appeared
at the Senate banking committee’s hearing about Equifax Inc.’s massive data hack.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts