The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never used one before. Just added an MXR 10 band EQ to the signal chain and am very pleased with the results. I did a lot of research on placement and settings for EQ's and came across several that complained of noise. I put this one right after the OD and dirt pedals then into the noise gate. I am finding no noise at all. Even if I turn off the noise gate. What I am finding is a lot of positive punch and sustain forever when running it with the OD and a Boss Metal Zone.

It's an effect I probably will never take off the board at this stage of the game.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
My MXR 10-band definitely added some hiss. Depends what frequencies you're boosting, I guess. I was using mine to try to give my LPs a bit more of a single-coil sound for some songs. I was using the "Sparkly Clean" setting in the manual and playing around with similar settings. Because it boosts so much in the top end, it definitely added some noise, especially if my comp was also on.

I forget where I had it in the chain exactly, but I think it was after comp and before my dirt.

I loved the versatility of the effect, but couldn't deal with the hiss.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My MXR 10-band definitely added some hiss. Depends what frequencies you're boosting, I guess. I was using mine to try to give my LPs a bit more of a single-coil sound for some songs. I was using the "Sparkly Clean" setting in the manual and playing around with similar settings. Because it boosts so much in the top end, it definitely added some noise, especially if my comp was also on.

I forget where I had it in the chain exactly, but I think it was after comp and before my dirt.

I loved the versatility of the effect, but couldn't deal with the hiss.
Interesting, I am finding no hiss or noise at this point. But I have mine in a different location than you did. I have it set kind of on a standard bell curve right now and it's giving me what I need. I will play with the settings more and see what happens. I use an MXR Noise Gate if that is making the difference. But I did switch it off, I would not say it was completely noise free in that mode but not bad.

·
Premium Member
25,103 Posts
In the late 80's I made myself a rack multi-FX, that included an overdrive (natch) and a single-band parametric EQ. Placing the EQ before the overdrive allowed me to get flawless Billy Gibbons gronk. I regularly refer folks to the epic Akai G-Drive, which placed one 6-band EQ before the clipping circuit, and another after. Brilliant. Visionary.
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/akai/d2g#

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Glad you're liking it! I always put eq's in the loop of my Marshall so I could reign in some of the tubbiness. Going in the loop is a similar philosophy to placing it after your OD's in that it allows you to get surgical with whatever freq range you like/dislike before it hits the power amp. There def can be some noise, but like you, I never found it unacceptable. And I've never used a noise gate in my life (that will change at some point). If you're using pedals for the majority of your dirt then directly before or after is where your eq goes. I'm a bigger fan of after, in that case. Amp drive is loop, but if you're wanting to shape how the guitar itself sounds, first(ish) in your chain, etc.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I use an Empress Paraeq and it is placed before modulation and after dirt. The Empress is dead silent and is very tweakable. Quite frankly it was an amazing revelation when I first put it on my pedalboard. It will never leave my board.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
I have the Boss NS2 and GE7. I got them in one of those Kijiji deals where you have to buy every piece of equipment for a set price if you want the one desirable item.

I generally use my best true bypass and buffered pedals as much as possible. However, I do have a few of my '80's trophy pedals that are known for their special sound. With that sound comes the noise, and I have come to accept that as my '80's sound. I now have the NS2 and GE7 set up with those pedals to use, or not. They make a huge difference when engaged; but they are not always required to get what I may be after. I can also say, that the EQ pedal can turn a discarded pedal into a prize, not to be sold.

Most noise that is generated from an EQ pedal is from the volume slider, that can be used as a boost or volume reducer.

I am glad the pedals are working out for you. All the reading is helpful, but it is still worth learning about using the EQ alternate positions, before and aft situations with specific pedals. The difference can be dramatic and desired.

Nothing is ever nailed down on any of my boards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts