The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
At a glance why are they calling a "Les Paul Standard Traditional". Last time I looked at them they were two different models. Did that change when I was not looking ?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,800 Posts
Different headstock than the regular Epi, or at least in the Les Paul or SG models
But you have to know epi elitists to know that, and what the difference is. I would wager most guitarists dont.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
But you have to know epi elitists to know that, and what the difference is. I would wager most guitarists dont.
This could probably be a discussion all on its own. I'm a basement player, or hobbyist whatever you want to call it. I'm not up on stage trying to make a living, so I don't understand that part. But what I can't help but wonder is what does the audience in general care? Only aspiring guitar players or musicians in the crowd are going to look for that.

So how many people is that? 1%? 10%? With the fact that Epi has some premium lines that are nearing or in professional grade, what does it really matter to the player?

I know there is resale value and those who believe in mojo (Though I will argue Mojo is in the hands ), but in all reality is it that much of a deal to have the name brand?

For instance everybody assumes Snap on is the be-all to end all in the mechanics world yet I know mechanics who swear they are junk with Mac Tools in the likes being better stuff. But some of these guys feel that they need to have the snap on your to be regarded as good mechanics.

I don't get me wrong, a tradesman with good tools can do his job better or easier, then a tradesman compensating for substandard stuff, but tools don't make the tradesman. Skills make the tradesman.

So it's primarily self image? I don't see playing an Epi on stage being akin to the contractor showing up at your house in a brush painted 1978 Bell telephone window van or K car wagon or converted ambulance... or am I in the minority here?

·
Premium Member
16,800 Posts
It depends what stage. Im not saying epi makes bad guitars - i have a buddy who gigs his all over the world.

Whether we like it or not, rock is a lot to do with image. Non players know the name fender and gibson. If they dont see that name, and the guitar looks cheap, they may assume you dont take it seriously enough to buy good gear. And if you dont take it that seriously, surely you arent getting paid much (if at all). And since this is for fun, why shouldnt i talk to my friends and ignore the band all night (or until they play my song)?. Im not saying all patrons are like that, but I also dont know what percentage are. I have been reading about gear long before I could go into a bar or cared about alcohol.

If you dont look like some rock badass up there, why should they pay attention to you? How much image matters will vary between amateur and pro bar band, amateur and pro touring band, etc. But image will always matter. It's called the music business because its a business haha.

·
Registered
12,259 Posts
if you're up there doing worn out covers like some bands do, no one in your audience will care what you're playing. those people have no idea about any of the stuff you and i care about. the band is there to sell beer to drunks.
bands doing original music in certain genres and sub-genres attract people who actually came to hear your music. s certain percentage of those know the labels, and appreciate tone and other nuances.
maybe just my opinion, but i think 80% if the time, the reason certain brands are seen on more stages is because it gives the artist enough confidence to do their thing. if warren haynes dropped gibson for epiphone tomorrow, most of his fans wouldn't care. he could secretly play them in the studio on every album and none of us would have any clue, admit it or don't.

·
Registered
460 Posts
First post here but I'll add my two cents as I've been lurking for a while and this subject drew me out...

Excluding physical appearances, the biggest differences I've experienced is tuning stability, fretwork and playability.

Tuning ability: Obviously means staying in tune but I'll also include how easily the neck flexes. I'm no wood worker (tho for about the the past five years I've been looking after the guitar collection of an old rocker who still tours in the summer, so I consider myself knowledgable enough about guitars) so I'm not sure if using the term "stiff" is applicable when describing the wood a neck is made of but I find with Epis the neck flexes much easier than most Gibsons (barring their lower priced guitars) even with the truss rod set correctly.

Fretwork: My experience has shown that the frets are crowned better on Gibsons.

Playability: The action can be lower on most Gibsons (again, excluding some of their lower priced guitars) and the neck can be made straighter than Epis without incurring buzzing near the nut.

Granted, I've seen great playing Epis but as a general rule, the things I listed above are my experiences when comparing Gibson to Epi.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Scotty the elitist and the elite are better guitars period. Made in Japan with better components. They play better ,sound better ,look better etc. That is why people buy them instead of the made in China Epi's that have flooded the market.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts