The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was at L&M and played this through an epiphone amp :) , the bigger combo. I have to say I was impressed. It felt great, played great, the pickups sounded just fine and the build quality/fisnish seemed pretty good.

Thats 499 CDN.

The question what are the guts like, the wood quality.
Is it mahogany or some other wood?
If I bought it I would probably never change the pickups, but maybe the pots etc....that too only if they start giving me trouble.

Over at HC there is talk of EDWARDS LP (great specs on it) which can be had from Japan for a good price and looking at them I suddenly got interested in LPs. But I want to get one for as less as possible and locally if possible after trying it out.

So what do you all think?

·
Registered
2 Posts
the epiphone lp specs are here.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=518341

and yes it has a mahogany/alder body with a maple top and a mahogany neck.

it's a fairly solid korean made guitar and has been a fairly popular alternative to people who cannot afford gibsons and want a les paul. a lot of people who own it however often inevitably decide on a pickup change, though that's so subjective.

the only other thing i'll mention is that there are a lot of alternatives available for probably less money. especially if you don't care that gibson's name is affiliated with the headstock decal or if you buy used. there has been a couple of thread about these budget alternatives that people swear are just as good or better. the main brand in question is Agile and are sold by rondomusic. you can visit their site at rondomusic.net. the al-2000 is basically a les paul standard by another name.

http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?t=465

http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?t=661

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine's a 2004,other than strap locks and the neccesity for locktite it's a nice guitar,I understand the pickup question/pot thing but it's a very playable guitar.I've never been sorry for a second that I bought mine but try other models too,It's not a race so take your time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My epi is great. I recently changed the pots and pickups and now it's better then it ever was. I reccomend doing this cause the pots crackle from the very beginning. Playability wise this guitar is solid. I have a prs custom 24 and I would say I almost like my les paul better.

·
Registered
233 Posts
When it comes to specs, you can't believe everything your read. On most Epis the only mahogany you'll find on them is the thin veneer they put on the back to make it look like its made from mahogany. They are made in many different factories, mostly China now, they vary in quality, some good, a lot.... so-so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I owned an Epi les paul standard for awhile and ended up selling it. Soundwise it was alright, not really any complaints. It just felt really cheap to me. I didn't like the way it felt.

I sold it and bought a Gibson Hawk off of ebay for 500$ canadian. Best money spend ever. It's the best feeling gibson I've ever tried. Even a few of my buddies agree. It's not the prettiest thing, but the feel is just out of this world.

I put in a seymour duncan jb at the bridge and jazz at the neck. Never getting rid of it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i prefer epiphones to gibsons when it comes to les pauls, save the gibson LP studios. basically, it comes down to the fact that i don't think they sound, feel, or look $1000-2000 inferior and i find them more comfortable.

·
Registered
166 Posts
JSD's Guitar Shack said:
They are made in many different factories, mostly China now, .

Actually they're made in Korea I believe. I also prefer my epiphone les paul standard over my buddies gibson. The neck is so much faster. I hear nothing but good things about the higher end agiles. Those might be worth checking out at www.rondomusic.net

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine's Korean,just changed the pups,my blackie has more issues than the epiphone could dream of,i'm opening it up and rewiring when i get off these freaking 12 hour shifts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tried one of my friends a long time ago. It felt pretty cheap, and it didn't feel like it would hold up. Bear in mind that my friend had successfully beaten it like a redheaded stepchild, it still felt loose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am planning to buy a used Epiphone LP Standart from LA Music. It looks barely used and I have already put some down payment for it. All Epi LP standarts have pickup covers there but this one. Are these covers default package for LP standart and I am wondering if it does make any difference?

·
Registered
274 Posts
after a pickup change, I like it a lot. I would argue that the pickups are not as "subjective" as other have claimed, unless of course, you like mud and squealing.

the mahogany backs on a gibson are 1 or 2 piece, while the epiphones can use up to 9. the odds of finding a good one are not very high, but then again, gibsons use practically live wood these days anyway; your chances are about the same. just play a lot of them (like more than 20) and find one that sounds good acoustically

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Yerffej said:
find one that sounds good acoustically
IMO that is THE most important thing when looking for a guitar. Electronics are easy to change, but you can't do anything about the inherent tone of the guitar itself.

I chuckle when in a guitar store and trying a few guitars - the salesmen are always 'hey, you wanna plug that thing in?'. Answer: 'nope'.

·
Registered
788 Posts
A buddie of mine picked up a epi elitest LP 6 months ago at a local store having a 40% sale on everything exept top shelf stuff, he paid $700. It has a real flame top with an exelent finish and plays great. He loves the guitar and so do I :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
imbackagain2 said:
Actually they're made in Korea I believe. I also prefer my epiphone les paul standard over my buddies gibson. The neck is so much faster. I hear nothing but good things about the higher end agiles. Those might be worth checking out at www.rondomusic.net
They were made in Korea until a few months ago. All the new ones I've seen are Chinese. They're a little cheaper than before, by $100 or so. But for around the same price, maybe a little more, the Tokai's I've played have been a little better - more solid feel. And there's simply no comparison between the new Epi SG's & the Tokai SG's. Tokai in a landslide...at least the handful I've tried.

I haven't played an Agile so I can't comment there. I have heard good things but that's about all I can say about them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
dwagar said:
IMO that is THE most important thing when looking for a guitar. Electronics are easy to change, but you can't do anything about the inherent tone of the guitar itself.

I chuckle when in a guitar store and trying a few guitars - the salesmen are always 'hey, you wanna plug that thing in?'. Answer: 'nope'.
problem is most of the guitars hanging on walls nowadays have dead strings =P

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Actually the unplugged sound of a guitar is not going to give you much info as to whether the guitar is good or not. The unplugged resonance of a guitar has more to do with things like finish and type of construction than the quality of wood. An typical unfinished plywood bolt on will be fully resonant when compared to a neckthrubody with a full finish over great tonewoods. I know of at least one builder who doesnt finish his guitars because of this. The difference is moreso when comparing basses because the strings are in the low frequencies. This is why matching pickups to the guitar is so important...............

·
Registered
233 Posts
Emohawk said:
They were made in Korea until a few months ago. All the new ones I've seen are Chinese. They're a little cheaper than before, by $100 or so. But for around the same price, maybe a little more, the Tokai's I've played have been a little better - more solid feel. And there's simply no comparison between the new Epi SG's & the Tokai SG's. Tokai in a landslide...at least the handful I've tried.

I haven't played an Agile so I can't comment there. I have heard good things but that's about all I can say about them.
They've been making them in China for a long time now its just now all production has been moved to China. Cheap labour and even cheaper woods, its about time that started reflecting in their price. Tokais have always been a better all round guitar than the Epi, now even more so.

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
brybi said:
problem is most of the guitars hanging on walls nowadays have dead strings =P
Ah. I see you've been to Steve's Music on Queen West. I actually saw the winding on the wound strings worn and starting to fray on two axes last year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts