The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some fun working on the “relicing” of this Epiphone Les Paul Gold Top over the weekend.

This was my first attempt at this sort of thing, and attempting it with a bulletproof polyester finish heightened the challenge.

I approached the task with a “less is more” attitude and after the study of various vintage photos.

I’m glad I took it on... what a blast.

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
Excellent work, that is VERY realistic wear.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I'm not usually one for relic jobs, but this one is an exception. Great minimalist wear and tear and to my eyes very natural looking aging.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Are you sure you did some aging on it - which is the biggest compliment I can pay to an aged guitar. Nicely subtle, doesn't try too hard to be stressed.

Kinda like reverb, if it stands out, you're using too much. IMO.

I'm with @marcos , how did you do the 'lacquer cracks' in poly? Will you have to kill us if you tell us?

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Premium Member
13,355 Posts
Well done. When I comes to relic jobs, I like it done between closet classic and mild.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I used nuclear fusion, like Cboutilier guessed!

Seriously though... nothing magical, just artistic expression mostly with a variety implements ranging very sharp to very blunt and some moderate to mild abrasives... and some air brushing for tarnish and shadow.

I’ve been fortunate on a couple occasions to hang at a luthiers gathering with Tom Murphy who walked through his process start to finish... credit to him, but applying it to poly took some different tact.

Reactions: Dorian2
1 - 16 of 16 Posts