The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a couple of question regarding epiphone les pauls...

1. is the custom the best one of the les pauls (not including the eltitists)?
2. is the elitist les paul much better than the normal one?
3. whats the difference between the custom and the custom plus??

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts

1. From what I've seen and read (and noodled on), It think the difference is cosmetics - same pups and hardware.

2. Way better. Same or better quality as a US Gibson at almost half the price. I played a really nice Elitist SG a few times.

3. Fancier finish.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I picked up for next to nothing. I swapped the stock pickups and electronics for genuine Gibson stuff and the thing sounds fantastic. IMHO I don't believe the difference in price is really worth it...Unless of course you have plenty of spare coin.

I

·
0 Posts
I think the non-elitist range is all pretty comparable. You'll get a nice top on the custom, but it's still made of slabs of mahogany glued together.

I think so. 1 or 2 piece bodies. Solid caps. USA hardware. They rival Edwards and older Tokais for bang-for-your-buck.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Obviously, the price dictates the level of refinements.
The best upgrades you can make are to install Genuine Gibson pickups into any model of Epiphone for killer tone! :food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Ever considered an Epi Les Paul Ultra?

I just got one and I'm very pleased with it. Less weight, contoured back, satin neck finish, good sustain and a reasonable price.

Too bad it is only available in one finish...and I'm not a big fan of gold hardware.

Just a thought.

Dave

I

·
0 Posts
Something just came to mind here: the Ultra and Elitist bodies might be one and two piece affairs. I know the standard Epi Les Paul body is made from strips of mahogany glued together. Personally I'd pay extra for a one or two piece body instead of a 5 or 7 piece body.

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Something just came to mind here: the Ultra and Elitist bodies might be one and two piece affairs. I know the standard Epi Les Paul body is made from strips of mahogany glued together. Personally I'd pay extra for a one or two piece body instead of a 5 or 7 piece body.
On the Ultra, I'm not sure how many body pieces it actually has, but much of any of the pieces is missing...it is highly chambered. There is an x-ray of of the Ultra's body somewhere on the net...very cool.

Dave

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
if you can get an elitist LP, get it. doesnt really matter which one :p

i believe the elitists are made in japan? i've played 1 elitist SG (neighbour's) and its the nicest SG i've ever played.. there's a gibson standard in the basement here. it rivals it.

as for custom vs custom plus, the custom plus has a flame maple top i believe.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
if you can get an elitist LP, get it. doesnt really matter which one :p

i believe the elitists are made in japan? i've played 1 elitist SG (neighbour's) and its the nicest SG i've ever played.. there's a gibson standard in the basement here. it rivals it.

as for custom vs custom plus, the custom plus has a flame maple top i believe.
I've got one of the SG Elitist's too! Excellent guitar.
I've been saving for a Gibson Goldtop reissue but I am seriously considering going for an Elitist Goldtop instead!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks!!!! guys, i dont know much about electric guitars so this may be dumb question. whats the white thing under the pickups on all the les pauls ??? is that a tremolo?? I only know the ibanez style tremolo....

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
thanks!!!! guys, i dont know much about electric guitars so this may be dumb question. whats the white thing under the pickups on all the les pauls ??? is that a tremolo?? I only know the ibanez style tremolo....
I hope that someone understands this question, because I'm totally at a loss with it.

Dave

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
You mean the pickguard?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts