The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,629 Posts
At first glance I dont hate it (looking at yt screenshot).

·
Registered
24,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For me, the appealing feature is the pick-guard. Not the look of the pick-guard, but rather the fact that it can cover up so many different mods, and the holes required for them. After all, at $100, roughly, it makes a great platform for experimentation. I'm curious about how much existing empty space there is under that pickguard. Just imagine what you could do by installing a low-profile gold-foil-type PU in between the two existing ones, and adding some switching circuitry. Alternatively, one can buy inexpensive dual-rails-type PUs from Guitar Fetish or other places, and install them to replace the stock PUs. Or, if you like the tone of the stock PUs, but they tend to attract hum, there would be plenty of space under that pickguard for a dummy coil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For me, the appealing feature is the pick-guard. Not the look of the pick-guard, but rather the fact that it can cover up so many different mods, and the holes required for them. After all, at $100, roughly, it makes a great platform for experimentation. I'm curious about how much existing empty space there is under that pickguard. Just imagine what you could do by installing a low-profile gold-foil-type PU in between the two existing ones, and adding some switching circuitry. Alternatively, one can buy inexpensive dual-rails-type PUs from Guitar Fetish or other places, and install them to replace the stock PUs. Or, if you like the tone of the stock PUs, but they tend to attract hum, there would be plenty of space under that pickguard for a dummy coil.
In Canada it's gonna be $169 plus tax, so in Ontario about $190

·
Registered
24,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In some respects, it is similar to the old double-cutaway Melody Maker, which also had single-coils. HOWEVER, the PUs on the old Melody Makers had alnico bar magnets in them, rather than ceramic magnets..

·
Registered
750 Posts
Or ... you could leave it as is ;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
They're available for preorder through L&M, I inquired about them last week. I don't know when they'll be available, but total cost is $169 and you can preorder for $50 down.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
They're available for preorder through L&M, I inquired about them last week. I don't know when they'll be available, but total cost is $169 and you can preorder for $50 down.
If I was in the market & was unable to have one in my hands before buying I would be more inclined to order from L&M.

Looks like a cool modding platform. At that price point I'm guessing tuners, pots & bridge will also need to be done, so definitely wait for a used one, assuming the frets aren't ruined. Not being a cork sniffer, but a guitar built to that price point is going to have lots of corners cut. I once met a guy who was into low end Squiers (Affinity & such) and he burned through necks like crazy due to super soft frets. It wasn't worth doing a refret on a guitar that costs half as much.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
In some respects, it is similar to the old double-cutaway Melody Maker, which also had single-coils. HOWEVER, the PUs on the old Melody Makers had alnico bar magnets in them, rather than ceramic magnets..
Swapping the bar magnets for AlNiCo would be an interesting first mod. Beyond a beginner, I see this as a good guitar to learn luthierism on.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts