The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I seeing things . Considering buying a Epi LP Standard pro. I noticed the fret board is plastic or something else. Sure ain't wood. Check the web page spec's and sure enough they leave the fret board part blank. Who knows what they are using ?

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Could be richlite. Its basically resin and paper. IIRC Gibson used this on a few guitars as well

Reactions: Distortion

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
It's probably still wood and has some sort of a sealant or finish on it that makes it look plasticky. There is a good thread at MLP about scraping Epi fingerboards with a razor blade to get that stuff off and reveal the rosewood underneath.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop PRO

Check the spec's out, fingerboard is blank. L&M does not have a clue sometimes in their right ups. It looks like rosewood but it is not, it is some type of plastic. It is a $720 guitar. I bet the Elitists have this finger board also, they feel the same to play. I have a Standard Plus top pro on rent that I am interested in buying but ?

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop PRO

Check the spec's out, fingerboard is blank. L&M does not have a clue sometimes in their right ups. It looks like rosewood but it is not, it is some type of plastic. It is a $720 guitar. I bet the Elitists have this finger board also, they feel the same to play. I have a Standard Plus top pro on rent that I am interested in buying but ?
I haven’t seen an Epiphone with a plastic fretboard before, but I’ll be at Long & McQuade on Bloor tomorrow and see if I can check one out. I am still skeptical that they are using plastic, but stranger things have happened.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
I've never seen one with a plastic fretboard.
Indian rosewood usually.

I've seen rich lite on Gibson and martins but never on epiphone.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Every Epiphone on the wall at L&M Bloor that I looked at last night had a wood fretboard. They have a plasticky-looking coating on them, maybe some sort of sealant or something, but they’re wood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts