The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted a J45 but could never justify spending that much on a guitar. I've watched some videos of the new Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J45 and it was pretty darn close to the Gibson in terms of tone at less than $1000. I also like the new headstock. There are a couple of other brands that also make a J45 style guitar like Sigma and Eastman but I'd have to order those from a dealer here and I prefer to play before I buy. I know L&M carries the Epiphone brand but all the ones near me don't have any in stock.

Just curious...has anyone seen or played one of these new Epiphone Inspired By Gibson acoustic guitars?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd interested in the jumbo
Yes the J200 model in natural finish would be my choice but I prefer dreads. What appeals to me is the slope shoulder design and the 24.75" scale length of the J45 style guitar. I just found the Guild Memoir DS-240 which is also a J45 copy for about $700 CDN. That is substantially cheaper than the Epiphone J45. I need to do more research.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I have seen some electroacoustic Epiphones played by young guys on a TV show...
Epiphone "copies" of Gibson have around for many years now.
I cannot say more.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
The electrics have a good reputation already, but I haven't heard much feedback on the IBG Acoustics. Before this line, I've never had an Epiphone impress me acoustically and had one jumbo that was an utter disappointment. I wouldn't buy without playing first.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The electrics have a good reputation already, but I haven't heard much feedback on the IBG Acoustics. Before this line, I've never had an Epiphone impress me acoustically and had one jumbo that was an utter disappointment. I wouldn't buy without playing first.
This has been my experience with the old Epiphone line. I never played any of their Masterbilt series but their old versions of the Hummingbird and J200 were not great sounding in my opinion.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They sound really nice on the youtubes. Much closer to their big brothers than the old generation Epiphone copies used to be. imho
Here's a good comparison video. I actually prefer the tone of the Epi Hummingbird over the much more expensive Gibson Hummingbird Studio.

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
As you can tell, they look real nice. In person, saw at least the Hummingbird and J45 today. I gave the J an 'on the wall' strum, it had that flatter Gibson sound all right. Tho I was a little spoiled, I played an absolute monster well broken in HD-28 off the wall, just a freaking cannon (which I understand they are supposed to be, but holy s**t.) Wasn't what I was after, but my credit card cringed.

That Epi headstock is very innoffensive. Well done.

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
Here's a good comparison video. I actually prefer the tone of the Epi Hummingbird over the much more expensive Gibson Hummingbird Studio.

I hate how great players give me GAS, despite knowing I'll never remotely be able to play what they do for the most part.

Dammit, now I want that Hummingbird. I've never played one.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish I could try one of these locally but I can't seem to find a dealer. There was one store here that did sell the newer Guild line of acoustics but checking their website it looks like they don't any more.

Guild Memoir DS-240 it retails for $719 here in Canada.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hate how great players give me GAS, despite knowing I'll never remotely be able to play what they do for the most part.

Dammit, now I want that Hummingbird. I've never played one.
Haha! Yeah I hate when that happens! I also prefer when the person demonstrating the instrument plays like I do which is pretty basic strumming, flat picking and finger picking. Pretty much like most of us I'd guess.

Yeah that Hummingbird sounds really nice. It'd be nice to try one.

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
I went to get the Hummingbird, liked the J-45 better, and didn’t realize it had electronics too. It smells like fresh cut wood still. I’ve never had a slope shoulder, it’s a richer but mellower tone. Guessing it will open up some. Traded my GS Mini, I liked it for what it was, but so dry sounding. I liked the clarity when I bought it, think the rounder smoother Epi will suit what I’m doing. Likes to be hit fairly hard, works for me. Probably not a fingerpicker special, at least as-is.

Played it thru a little Boss Acoustic Singer LT, nice little amp, provided a slightly metallic tone that I easily dialed out on the amp, sounded great eq’d up and a little verb. Perfect for strum along tunes.

I‘lol take a better look at it and a few pics in the sun tomorrow, but haven’t seen any finish issues, fret work is fine.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to get the Hummingbird, liked the J-45 better, and didn’t realize it had electronics too. It smells like fresh cut wood still. I’ve never had a slope shoulder, it’s a richer but mellower tone. Guessing it will open up some. Traded my GS Mini, I liked it for what it was, but so dry sounding. I liked the clarity when I bought it, think the rounder smoother Epi will suit what I’m doing. Likes to be hit fairly hard, works for me. Probably not a fingerpicker special, at least as-is.

Played it thru a little Boss Acoustic Singer LT, nice little amp, provided a slightly metallic tone that I easily dialed out on the amp, sounded great eq’d up and a little verb. Perfect for strum along tunes.

I‘lol take a better look at it and a few pics in the sun tomorrow, but haven’t seen any finish issues, fret work is fine.
View attachment 358798
That looks really nice! Congrats and thanks for the mini review.

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
That looks really nice! Congrats and thanks for the mini review.
For anyone following, allow me to expand on ”mini” at least a bit, in words and pictures. Bottom line and skip to pics? You can maybe get more true net value at least subjectively, but it’s a good guitar that plays smoothly and comfortably, and has a good sound for its type.

OK so. It has a hand built/non cnc look in the right light and at the right angle, there are sliiiiightly, but visible wiggles in panels, not so much the top or back but sides for sure. Look at the lit areas here. But, while you’re there, look at that nice ivory binding. And all the corners are just rounded to comfortable, no hard sharp edges.

I will note, the finish of the mahogany bits is a bit browner than what I see in my photos. Less red than below.

Otherwise, pretty good finish. A little rough spot here where the neck joins body, also neck joint shown.

Indian laurel fingerboard. No experience previously, but I find it slick and fast so far. No issues with fretwork anywhere. It still smells of fresh cut wood, so if it has some shrinkage, so be it, but none yet. Will oil it, board and bridge look but don’t feel dry.

And it looks nice from the side. Neck feels like what I imagine a ’59 Les Paul would feel like, full and wide but not overwhelming in either dimension.

Im a slob for not wiping it down oops. The slightly matte surface feels thin even if not nitro. Very comfortable organic feel. As I noted above, it sounds a bit tight but I also think it’s coming along quickly. It’s not as dry sounding as a D18, there’s a richness to the low mid and down, like lower headroom but musical.

I admit I am not the pickiest when it comes to gnat bite sized issues, but nothing else catches my attention too egregiously. The tuners hold well but don’t feel fine or tight. I like where the neck end strap button is, underside of the neck at the body joint. It’s smooth and fast and comfortable to play. I’m happy with it, absolutely a step up from the GS Mini FOR ME, even if they aren’t quite in the same class.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts