1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Nice guitar ....

·
Registered
141 Posts
I like Epiphone guitars. I dont own one, but I have played a fair share of them. I just hate how their flying V looks like, it pisses me off for some reason.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm a recent convert to Epiphone..very good value in some models.IMHO.
I also got a used 1990 Epiphone Firebird from a buddy & really like it's vintage sound from 2 mini-humbuckers.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I tried the LP Ultra a few days ago and was impressed with the sound, the feel and the weight. These are the chambered body LP's and are nice and light but they sound good. Might have to look more seriously at one later down the line...

·
Registered
698 Posts
I like the worn brown faded finish (both the Epi & the Gibson SG Special). I just bought a Gibson SG Special actually but I couldn't get worn brown. Got the wine red gloss finish instead. I actually like it better than the cherry on the newer Gibson SG standards.

I find some of the new Epi's are nice, but a lot of them are trash. Just when the Koreans were getting good at making these copies Gibson moved all the manufacturing to China, and it shows. My 2000 Korean G-400 plays better than any of the new Chinese units I've tried. I'm sure they'll get the hang of it though. One thing the Chinese are great at is cloning products.

The prices dropped by about $150-$200 on most models, so I guess we can't complain too much. :D If I hadn't just bought an SG I'd be considering the Epi Iommi sig...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought mine in 04', and got the worn cherry finish. They're great guitars, super lightweight, and they play like butter. Mine was a factory 2nd so I got a little discount. I thought the neck finish was too dark, and that's why it's a 2nd, but I'm fairly certain now that the body is too light in color when I compared it to others.

Here she is:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
here's mine... I think the nut is in the wrong place tho. It needs some work.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Emohawk said:
I find some of the new Epi's are nice, but a lot of them are trash. Just when the Koreans were getting good at making these copies Gibson moved all the manufacturing to China, and it shows. My 2000 Korean G-400 plays better than any of the new Chinese units I've tried. I'm sure they'll get the hang of it though. One thing the Chinese are great at is cloning products.

I find the necks are an issue with a lot of Epi's I try. COnstruction and finish wise a lot of them look just as good as more expensive guitars. But a lot of times the necks don't feel 'right'.

I just bought one of the Epi ES hollow body Les Pauls. It's pretty cool, but the stock pickups are horrible. It will also need a new nut and new electronics. Unfortunately these are requirments on most Epi's, which is why I will not buy one new. Better to buy one already upgraded, or pay used prices to leave some money for upgrades.

·
Registered
103 Posts
NoTSoAgILe said:
I bought mine in 04', and got the worn cherry finish. They're great guitars, super lightweight, and they play like butter. Mine was a factory 2nd so I got a little discount. I thought the neck finish was too dark, and that's why it's a 2nd, but I'm fairly certain now that the body is too light in color when I compared it to others.

Here she is:

My only guitar is this specific model...I loves it, it was my first and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna keep it for a long, long time. It sounds great!

·
Premium Member
13,025 Posts
I have found trying out Epiphones to be like trying out Strats. You have to go through a lot of them. I have found I clicked with the MIJ/CIJ models much more oftem compared to MIM/Korean models in general. I've liked most Elitist models I've tried and CIJ Strats. There a few MIM and Korean gems I've come across, but it's more hit and miss.

Which may explain why I ended up with c1978 MIJ Epiphone Riviera.

I work in Toronto and my work takes me around downtown using transit. About once a week I end up in some music store, so I've noodled on a lot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts