The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I picked up one of these amps off of Ebay a few weeks ago. Haven't tried it yet. It's apparently rated at 5watts. I plan on building my own cab for it. Any recommendations as far as speakers go. The reason I ask is that it's only rated at 5 watts. thanks:bow:

·
Registered
874 Posts
A buddy has one and rus it through a 4x12 or 2x12 with Celestion Greenbacks in them. Sounds OK but needs some more bass. I would think the Eminence Swamp Thangs in a closed back would be just right for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tarl said:
A buddy has one and rus it through a 4x12 or 2x12 with Celestion Greenbacks in them. Sounds OK but needs some more bass. I would think the Eminence Swamp Thangs in a closed back would be just right for it.
To get a good bottom end out of it you need to replace the output transformer.
The 'tuning' of the amplifier is a compromise of price point and the 8 inch speaker that the combo has. The 8 inch would rattle itself to death with the bass a good transformer would put out and the 'proper' transformer costs $52 here is BC. Internally there are a couple of resistors that are lowering the gain, for the same reason. For some bucks, a handfull of resistors and pricey transformer you can really change one of these, then it works well.
I have one and I prefer to keep the volume down with a speaker attenuator. So I'm not really worried about the speaker. If you want to crank it up, after modifications, it is quite loud and any 12 inch speaker that you have liked in the past will work with similar results.

You will be surprised how loud a modified one of these is.

A very long thread about modifying one of these is at www.18watt.com

it starts here
http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9053#131035

but the condensed list of all of the best mods, called the gold or what-ever, is on page 30, here
http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9053&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=435

Enjoy...

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I think I will eventually mod it because I like taking stuff apart and changing it. :rockon:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Boy these heads are really popular... called the music shop this afternoon and asked Steve what it would cost and if he could get me one. He called back a half hour later but the news was they are out of stock and don't expect any more for about three months...:mad: the combo is available for 180.00 my price. I have been thinking about getting one of these and doing some of the mods available but I was hoping for just the head. Looks like I got to get a speaker thrown in.... Anybody here ever take one of these through the mods ?? if so how do you feel about the end result ??

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Ok pulled the trigger and had one of these(combo) ordered into my local store. I have seen a new BitMo mod on Ebay called BitMo Spanky... sounds really good so this may be the first one on the list. :banana:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts